× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Plex Server on ReadyNas Pro 6

SolwayMist
Aspirant

Plex Server on ReadyNas Pro 6

I have the ReadyNas Pro 6 with Radiator 4.2.31

I have the Plex Server ver 9.12.11 installed and configured on the ReadyNas

I haven't used the system for several months and now have a problem. It used to work previously.

I can access my Plex Server on my IOS devices and all my media plays as they should.

However, when I access my Plex Server with my Fire TV, Fire TV Stick or PlayStation, I get the message that it Cannot Reach My Media Server.

I cannot find any updates for Plex Server for my ReadyNas and it looks like it has been dropped. The fact it works on IOS suggests the Plex Media Server is OK. So is the problem with the Fire TV's?

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Personally I run plex on a Windows PC that has the NAS volume mounted as a network drive.

You might try installing a test server on a PC, just to confirm that will solve your problem.  Once you link the fire stick player to your account, it might actually find the older server (not sure, but worth a try).

Longer term, upgrading the NAS to OS-6 probably makes sense.  In addition to plex, you will also new features and up-to-date linux (ensuring that you'll get security updates).

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

The plex folks dropped OS 4.2 support about a year ago - that is why there are no more updates.

Are secure connections disabled (or allowed to fail over to insecure) on the server?

Did you follow the steps here: https://www.howtogeek.com/285706/how-to-use-plex-on-your-amazon-fire-tv-and-tv-stick/

Message 2 of 4
SolwayMist
Aspirant

Yes I've disabled secure connections on both the ReadyNas server and the Fire TV but still the same error.

Annoyingly it works on IOS but not the Fire TV.

What might you suggest as a solution without dumping my ReadyNas?

Is there another media server I can use on the ReadyNas with a suitable client on the Fire TV or would it be worth updating my ReadyNas Pro 6 to OS6?

I assume Plex supports OS6 and all will be well.  Just have to work out how I can backup 6TB of data.

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Personally I run plex on a Windows PC that has the NAS volume mounted as a network drive.

You might try installing a test server on a PC, just to confirm that will solve your problem.  Once you link the fire stick player to your account, it might actually find the older server (not sure, but worth a try).

Longer term, upgrading the NAS to OS-6 probably makes sense.  In addition to plex, you will also new features and up-to-date linux (ensuring that you'll get security updates).

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements