× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Possible Disk Failure

dschwartzer
Luminary

Possible Disk Failure

I have an RN202 with two (2) Seagate 1TB NAS drives installed.  The unit has been running with out issue for several months.

A few minutes ago, it started to send out warning emails that said:

"Detected increasing reallocated sector count: [3728] on disk 2 (Internal) [ST31000528AS 9VP4319G] 47 times in the past 30 days. This condition often indicates an impending failure. Be prepared to replace this disk to maintain data redundancy."

Over the course of 22 minutes I received 29 emails and then they suddenly stopped.

I am remote from the unit right now so I can't check the Admin panel but I did log in to ReadyCloud and the Status is green and says Healthy.

Is this really an indication that the drive is failing and if so, why would it suddently stop sending warning messages?

Currently, none of the data on the drives are critical and it is all duplicated on another platform so I'm not really concerned with data loss but if a drive is failing I would want to replace it sooner rather than later.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

regards,

David

Model: RN202|ReadyNAS202
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
cpu8088
Virtuoso

Re: Possible Disk Failure

this seagate drive was out in 2009. it must have serviced u for over 4 years. time to call it a day.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
cpu8088
Virtuoso

this seagate drive was out in 2009. it must have serviced u for over 4 years. time to call it a day.

Message 2 of 4
dschwartzer
Luminary

Thanks for the quick response.

The RN202 was new a few months ago and the drives were provided with it, (it was not a retail purchase).  When I went to register the drives I did see that the warranty period was already expired on both of them.  Given their age I may just replace both to avoid future issues.

Any idea why the messages would suddenly stop after the short period of time?

Regards,

David

Model: RN202|ReadyNAS202
Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@dschwartzer wrote:

Any idea why the messages would suddenly stop after the short period of time?

Sectors are reallocated when writes fail. Possibly the file I/O completed. 3700 Reallocated Sectors definitely means "replace the drive".

I recommend either drives purposed for NAS (WDC Red or Seagate VN) or enterprise class (Red Pro, Seagate NearLine, etc).  WDC Reds work well in my RN202.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements