× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Post your performance results

glashoppah
Aspirant

I take it back - it was the ntop addin that sucked.

Here is the Bonnie result.

Version 1.96	Sequential Output	Sequential Input	Random
Seeks Sequential Create Random Create
Size Per Char Block Rewrite Per Char Block Num Files Create Read Delete Create Read Delete
K/sec % CPU K/sec % CPU K/sec % CPU K/sec % CPU K/sec % CPU /sec % CPU /sec % CPU /sec % CPU /sec % CPU /sec % CPU /sec % CPU /sec % CPU
JCM-NAS1 8G 381 95 15904 2 57526 13 1452 98 314401 31 576.9 12 256 12581 40 252951 99 2485 7 17598 55 325070 99 1535 4
Latency 21149us 37772ms 669ms 27128us 51434us 97051us Latency 1982ms 1439us 6919ms 359ms 23us 6661ms

H.
Message 276 of 309
glashoppah
Aspirant

Ugh, that didn't format well.

H.
Message 277 of 309
chirpa
Luminary

glashoppah wrote:
Ugh, that didn't format well.
Wrapping with a CODE block helps a bit.
Message 278 of 309
tiranor
Aspirant

Well, as i see (i've formatted it with excel), your benchmark clearly shows a problem with sequential outpout. It shows 15.9MB/s, with 2% CPU load (and 37000ms latency), while mine reaches 100MB/s (and my ultra4 is crealy slower than your Pro6).
Message 279 of 309
glashoppah
Aspirant

Odd - first of all I don't have any problems reading *from* the ReadyNAS, it seems to be able to put data on the wire just fine. And my Mac has a lot of RAM and a hardware controller and apparently a great caching strategy, so it can take whatever the NAS dishes out. I get data out of the ReadyNAS at very consistent and high rates.

It's writing *to* the ReadyNAS that is slow and choppy and clearly governed by drive performance and caching.

Regarding the issue you note - any ideas? This device is configured relatively "out-of-the-box" except for the double-redundancy config of XRAID-2. I've had more than one of these and have had 500G, 1T and 2T drives in them, all enterprise-class Seagate Constellations.

H.
Message 280 of 309
janforman
Aspirant

ReadyNAS DUO v2

Intel NAS Performance Toolkit
Write: 39.2MB/s (314Mbit/s)
Read: 49.1MB/s (393Mbit/s)

NAS Performance tester 1.4 / 800MB file
Write: 47.6MB/s (380Mbit/s)
Read: 58MB/s (464Mbit/s)
Message 281 of 309
Philippe31415
Aspirant

iMac i7 from 2010 with ReadyNas 6 I get a poor performance

AFP 10MB/s write tested via Helios - from my PC's I go a lot faster.
SMB 7.5MB/s write
CIFS 6MB/s write

Mac OS X 10.8.2 / Gigabit Netgear N600 Router... No Jumbo Frames activated but still this should not make the difference compared to people going at 50 or 100MB/s.

Any suggestions to speed things up?

I'll do another test with a direct connection but still - a so so happy user at best
Message 282 of 309
Ruebe69
Aspirant

i think this is ok for a Gbit/Lan and 6 Bay Readynas Ultra ?

Running a 800MB file write on drive M: twice...
Iteration 1: 81,05 MB/sec
Iteration 2: 83,51 MB/sec
------------------------------
Average (W): 82,28 MB/sec
Running a 800MB file read on drive M: twice...
Iteration 1: 97,91 MB/sec
Iteration 2: 96,96 MB/sec
Average (R): 97,43 MB/sec
Message 283 of 309
janforman
Aspirant

ReadyNAS DUO v2

Windows 8 <> NAS (12GB file) drag&drop

Write: 52MB/s (416Mbit/s)
Read: 78MB/s (624Mbit/s)

--
ext3 filesystem
WD Green 2TBx2
Message 284 of 309
tiranor
Aspirant

tiranor wrote:
I'm wondering, is CIFS that slow, or do i have a misconfiguration ?

Tonight, i was transfering files with ftp while sabnzbd was DLing at full speed (2MB/s), the speed was 100+ MB/s. And on the other hand, i can't seen to exceed 50-60MB/s with CIFS.

Tonight i was curious and ran some tests with the top command running on ssh, and the issue with Dling and SMB CIFS is really frustrating.

IOmeter ran at 55MB/s on both read and write.
The read speed was very constant with a CPU load under 30%.
The write speed was erratic (between 20-30MB/s and 90MB/s averaging 50-55MB/s), which saturates the nas CPU (the SMB process and raid5 process both take turn using the CPU).

Where is the restraint on read speed using smb ?

FYI, using ftp (with 100-110MB/s read and 60MB/s write), the read speed uses few % of CPU and the write speed also saturates the CPU with proftpd and raid5 processes.
Message 285 of 309
eton
Luminary

ReadyNAS Duo v.1

Dropped some large GB files over AFP, these were the averge speeds:
Read: 52 MB/s
Write: 18 MB/s

Performance settings:
Enabled - Jumbo frames
Enabled - Disable full data journaling
Disabled - Disable journaling
Isn't it just lovely with negative options. 🙂

The unit is recently factory resetted and restored from backup. It's half full, 1 of 2 TB is used. The rest of the specs is in the signature below. But I was quite suprised with the fast read spead. I've got some memory of about 30 MB/s prior to reset and with old drives.
Message 286 of 309
StephenB
Guru

52 MB/s read speeds from the duo v1? Sounds too high to me.

What RAID format are you using?
Message 287 of 309
eton
Luminary

Post your performance results

StephenB wrote:
52 MB/s read speeds from the duo v1? Sounds too high to me.

What RAID format are you using

Standard X-Raid (raid 1). Yes it sounds a bit too fast.
I got the figures when copying fils with Path Finder. Is there any standard tools for measuring nas speed on OS X?
Message 288 of 309
eton
Luminary

I just tried to do it manually. Dropped a 1,1 GB file from nas to laptop and timed it with my iPhone.
1100 MB / 21 s = 52,4 MB/s
crazy
Message 289 of 309
Ripperoo
Aspirant

Sereniity wrote:
ReadyNAS Ultra 6+ on a Full Duplex Gigabit Jumbo Packet network (Cat 6e, 9k JF + Billion 7800n), I get around 90 - 115mb/s read/write.

I read with interest the post by 'Serenity' from a year ago regarding 'ReadyNAS Ultra 6+ on a Full Duplex Gigabit Jumbo Packet network (Cat 6e, 9k JF + Billion 7800n)'

I hope you you guys don't mind if I ask a few questions.

Quoted read/write speeds are 90 - 115mb/s.

How was he able to achieve this?

I currently have the little brother of the 'ReadyNAS Ultra 6', the 'Ultra 4' and cannot achieve anywhere near the speeds quoted above.

My network consists of the following:

* Dell XPS8300 - i7-2600/3.40GHz,8MB, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB - 7200RPM/Raid 0 "Stripe" + Intel PRO/1000 CT Gigabit NIC
* ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Plus (Corsair VS4GSDS800D2 4GB RAM Upgrade + 4 x Samsung 2TB HDDs (HD204UI)
* Billion 7800N (Firmware 1.06g)

My transfer speeds currently max out at approx 10MB/s

ReadyNAS is set to Gigabit/Full Duplex
NIC is set to Gigabit/Full Duplex
Billion 7800N is only set to 1492 in the 'WAN Profile' and cannot be changed.

I am in the UK should that make any difference.

I am very interested to know, how he manage to get your Billion 7800 to utilise 9K Jumbo Frames?

Anyone?
Message 290 of 309
Ripperoo
Aspirant

Ripperoo wrote:
Anyone?

Forget about it guys, I've just realised what the problem is.:oops:

While searching for a solution, I found an old post of mine where I'd come to the conclusion that it was the 'Netgear Powerline Adapters' that were causing the problem as they don't support JF.

Well, I'm still using the same 'Netgear Powerline Adapters' and despite having all the right Gigabit kit, they just don't play and prevent transfers above 10MBps.

They are Netgear AV500 units and to be fair have been very good since I purchased them nearly two years ago and manage OK with streaming content to three locations simutaneously.
Message 291 of 309
tiranor
Aspirant

Bump, either i'm the "unlucky" one, or other people might be interested by the answer.

tiranor wrote:
tiranor wrote:
I'm wondering, is CIFS that slow, or do i have a misconfiguration ?

Tonight, i was transfering files with ftp while sabnzbd was DLing at full speed (2MB/s), the speed was 100+ MB/s. And on the other hand, i can't seen to exceed 50-60MB/s with CIFS.

Tonight i was curious and ran some tests with the top command running on ssh, and the issue with Dling and SMB CIFS is really frustrating.

IOmeter ran at 55MB/s on both read and write.
The read speed was very constant with a CPU load under 30%.
The write speed was erratic (between 20-30MB/s and 90MB/s averaging 50-55MB/s), which saturates the nas CPU (the SMB process and raid5 process both take turn using the CPU).

Where is the restraint on read speed using smb ?

FYI, using ftp (with 100-110MB/s read and 60MB/s write), the read speed uses few % of CPU and the write speed also saturates the CPU with proftpd and raid5 processes.
Message 292 of 309
fredcho
Aspirant

There is no secret to fast speed

For ReadyNAS Pro 6-200

I found it's interesting that there is no different in performance between stripped x-raid and single disk.

Writing at local level such as copy folder-to-folder (in RAID) and disk-to-disk in AHCI mode the speed is conistent at 75MB/s.

However, transfer over network the write speed gets improved to 120MB/s

From all the tests I see on the internet is SINGLE transaction, one connection at the time of the test. What's been missing is these storage device (SAN) suppose to get connect with multiple servers at any given time.

The speed is max at 160MB/s when there are two network transaction,
single connection max at 120MB/s,
and max Speed at 100MB/s when there is network transfer and local copy at the same time. Here are my test:

1. local copy on original x-raid, folder-to-folder
Write Speed 75MB/s

2. local copy folder-to-folder, and network Write
Write Speed Local 28MB/s
Write Speed From Network 100MB/s

3. Two machines Write to NAS
Write Speed 81MB/s per machine (162MB/s two machine combined).

Did I mention there is no different speed/performance on x-raid stripped VS. single AHCI mode disks ?

I've installed Windows Server 2012 on the ReadyNAS without raid option, each disk is on its own and I get exactly the same result for 3 tests above. What it mean is:

1. speed is depend on how the system handle the load, CPU and Network utilization is high but Memory usage is extremely low
2. type of NIC chipset ( I think this a factor but all NICs, on my laptop my desktop achieve maximum throughput, 980Mbps roughly 122MB/s)
3. type of disk use, Sata III get the result above, Sata II has speed fluctuate lower, for instance local copy of Sata II is about 50MB/s

Given the speed of the ReadyNAS running its own customized Linux VS. Windows OS the speed tests are the same. The clever code that Netgear has been using is catching up by Microsoft with its Storage Space feature in Windows 8 and WS2012. Storage Space feature in latest Windows OS has no intend in competition against ReadyNAS X-RAID but rather aiming at (responds to) the virtualization trend and its storage demand.

Soon, we will see NAS device running Windows OS.

Final though, Netgear (former infratec) is clever in writing a code that allow to add new disks to its existing partition. And it's so good that it allows you to run X-RAID with only 1 disk to start with, unlike RAID-5 3 disks minimum, this is the main reason I bought the ReadyNAS device. I don't like the idea of SAN loaded with DISKs but never use. I've seen too many disks get to replaced before the SAN reach its 70% usage. Even though I bought the ReadyNAS Pro 6 and has 6 drives to use I opt to run only 4 drives and my usage is only 50%.
Message 293 of 309
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Your "local" copies sound like copies to the PC then back to the NAS.

Assuming you are not using iSCSI you could SSH in or use something like Ajaxplorer to make true local copies
Message 294 of 309
fredcho
Aspirant

nope, ssh sesion and doing rsync.

http://ncong.wordpress.com/2013/09/28/273/
Message 295 of 309
cloud1
Aspirant

read 50M/s will be quite fine in 1G network.
Message 296 of 309
kgoncher
Aspirant

I need help.
I read post back to Feb 2011 and my head is still spinning at all the configurations.
My RNU6 has been running since May 2011 (see specs below), and I finally had 1 drive fall out (dead, maybe).
I bought new 4TB HD to back up my data before rebuild (plus other HDs in older computers) at 10MB/s for ~7TB of data took a long time.
After rebuild/re sync was done my transfers are still 11 MB/s READ and Write.
I remember getting 60 MB/s when it was new (in 2011,a re sync to 9TB and 3 computers ago).
Don't think I can blame it on D-LINK Gigabit Switch because,
computerHD to computerHD I get ~85 MB/s
computerSSD to ComputerSSD its ~125 MB/s
So Why is the RNU6 only giving me 11 MB/s?

Thanks for your help in advance Kurt
Other INFO from RNU6
online/100Mbit/Full Duplex, Auto-negotiation, MTU: 1500
Services: CIFS and HTTPS
Performance Options: Enable disk write catch, Disable Full data Journaling
Message 297 of 309
fastfwd
Virtuoso

kgoncher wrote:
online/100Mbit/Full Duplex, Auto-negotiation, MTU: 1500

There's your problem.
Message 298 of 309
kgoncher
Aspirant

So, I can not change that setting, it is only a status line, does that mean the RNU6 only has a 100Mb/s nic?
How are other RNU6 owners in the feed getting higher rates of transfer?
Message 299 of 309
fastfwd
Virtuoso

Your NAS has a gigabit NIC, but the automatic speed negotiation with your gigabit switch doesn't seem to have worked. I would try a different gigabit switch, or at least try a different CAT6 cable.
Message 300 of 309
Top Contributors
Announcements