× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Power LED Blinking, Web Admin not accessible.

nas102
Aspirant

Power LED Blinking, Web Admin not accessible.

hi all,

I wonder if anyone came across problem with RN102 boot to a locked condition where the power LED would blink continuously, while all other LED are off except ACT is on.

I have this problem following upgrade a secondary disk in JBOD config to a higher capacity.
Basically this is what happened. I first unmount the disk and ghost it to a new bigger capacity disk using Ghost 11.0 in DOS.
Everything went absolutely well. I mounted the new disk to RN 102. and power up RN, it worked. View from the web admin page I was able to verify the content and capacity expanded.
Note this is still with JBOD configuration. I was able to view and play content from the primary and secondary disk. This is with OS 6.2.2. Seems it is able to detect extra space in the new disk and expand the partition automatically.

Having pleased with this achievement. I decided to use another drive instead since I had bought another disk for backup purpose.
So i re-ghost the old disk to this 'another' new disk.
Having repeat all the steps as first what I did. This time, RN 102 would boot up but then stalled with power LED blinking and ACT LED on continuously.
I was not able to access web admin page now. Thus, I unmount this 'another' disk and mount back with the old disk.
This time now, it still stall with power LED blinking and ACT LED on continuously.
I also tried to mount with first new disk, it also the same with blinking power LED.
I tried also to use boot menu to OS re-install, however still the same result.
The data of both disk still can be accessed from network. Using file explorer, I was able to view and play the content.
However, web admin page still cannot be accessed.

Later, I check all the disk with HDDscan, soon I found that the last 'another' disk installed, has bad sector from the SMART attribute # 196.
I suspect because of this, once I plugged the bad 'disk', OS 6.2.2 lock the system into service mode and cease to operate as normal.

Now I still can view the data from network, but USB disk plugged in won't be shown in the file explorer as it normally would.

When power on RN102 now, it would boot like normally it does, first power LED blinking, then, stop blinking, on for few seconds, then ACT LED on, then power LED blinking again continuously.

I hope this is really an OS 6 locking mechanism and I would be able to unlock it so that I would not have to copy all the files and setup all over again..
Message 1 of 20
nas102
Aspirant

Managed to salvage all data. Found only transmission config files corrupted. Suspect transmission app corruption is the culprit which held up the boot process. Any idea if I can do something like deleting transmission in root/etc/int.d/ to workaround that boot problem?
Message 2 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What version of the Transmission app was installed?

I would suggest using the new version of the app 3.00.8.

You could try removing the app. We use systemd to start services in OS6
Message 3 of 20
nas102
Aspirant

Already removed fvapp-transmissionr6.service from lib/systems/system it still won't boot properly. Anyway I can force os reinstall beside boot menu? Tried few times boot menu os reinstall unable to fix .
Message 4 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Any clues as to what is preventing boot up in the journal?

Has the ownership of files been recursively set to guest?
Message 5 of 20
nas102
Aspirant

I think it actually boot up succesfully, otherwise i can't access all files through both AFP and SMB share.
It is only accessible via admin account with correct password.
Only web admin page is not available and power LED blinking, other application seems to be running fine.
Message 6 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Some users have tried resetting ownership of files on the OS partition to root. Personally I would recommend backing up your data, doing a factory default (wipes all data, settings, everything) and restoring your data from backup.
Message 7 of 20
nas102
Aspirant

Seems this "power LED blinking and no web admin page but SMB/AFP is working" is commonly encountered among Readynas OS 6 user.
What is the common root cause of this problem?
Is because file ownership? I don't think it is the case for me since, I didn't meddle with ownership before having this problem.
I'm looking for a more intrusive way to perform OS reinstall since it appear to do nothing as of now.
By resetting ownership of all files in root partition will help?
Another behavior I observe is, if I didn't plug-in the secondary drive, SMB/AFP sharing dissapear from network, even though primary drive also have multiple shared folders.
Message 8 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

# systemctl status apache2
# systemctl status readynasd
# journalctl -a | grep apache2 | tail -n 20
# journalctl -a | grep readynasd | tail -n 20
# ls -la /etc
Message 9 of 20
nas102
Aspirant

conection refused.
do I need to set the unit to "Tech support" from boot menu?

NAS@NAS102:~$ ssh 192.168.1.100
ssh: connect to host 192.168.1.100 port 22: Connection refused

NAS@NAS102:~$ ssh admin@192.168.1.100
ssh: connect to host 192.168.1.100 port 22: Connection refused

in /etc/default/services set SSH=1 ?
Message 10 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Seeing you have a backup, I think it would be simplest to do a factory default (wipes all data, settings, everything) and restore your data from backup.
Message 11 of 20
nas102
Aspirant

i want this solved, in case it happen again, i do not have to do all over again
Message 12 of 20
nas102
Aspirant

I had not installed root ssh in the NAS.
now it is half 'dead', is there an easy to install it?
web admin is not available, but i'm able to read/write access all files on the disk and make changes directly.
Message 13 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The user for SSH is root not admin.

You need apache to be running to be able to enable SSH.

I think my suggestion in my previous post in this thread would be one worth considering.
Message 14 of 20
nas102
Aspirant

ok, I factory reset the nas. Now I'm reconfiguring the disk. Question:
If two disks were setup as pure jbod as single volume, will I be able to read back data if one of the disk fail? Assuming I get one of the disk plugged into Linux os, will I be able to access the data? I assume half of all data stored still available on one of the disk.
Message 15 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

With JBOD if a disk fails all the data on that disk is lost I think. The surviving disk if it has a separate volume should still be O.K.

If the NAS stores the only copy of important data then you are taking a risk, especially when using a non-redundant configuration. You should backup important data primarily stored on the NAS regularly. Indeed you should backup important data regularly from whatever device it is primarily stored on.
Message 16 of 20
nas102
Aspirant

What if the disks did not fail, just that readynas os corrupted like what just happened to me. if connect both disks in Linux os, will I be able to reconstruct the entire as single volume and access the data again?
Message 17 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Provided the Linux OS has a recent kernel and recent version of BTRFS then that should be possible.

However if you have SSH enabled you should be able to look into some problems such as the web admin not working with the disks still in the NAS.

Also some problems that can affect the OS can be fixed simply by doing an OS Re-install.
Message 18 of 20
nas102
Aspirant

How to enable ssh? I can't anything ssh in available app section.
Message 19 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It's under System > Settings > Services.
Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements