× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Preparing ReadyNas NV+ for sale

andyfr
Aspirant

Preparing ReadyNas NV+ for sale

Hi

I am going to be selling my ReadyNas complete with 500GB disks and wanted to know how to prepare it so that no data is able to be recovered. I would apreciate any help.

Thanks

Andy.

Model: ReadyNAS RND4000v2|ReadyNAS NV+ v2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: Preparing ReadyNas NV+ for sale

One way is to connect the disks to a Window PC (either with SATA or a USB/SATA Dock).  Then use the write-zeros test using the manufacturer's diagnostic - Seatools for Seagate, and Lifeguard for Western Digital.  Lifeguard should with any brand of disks btw.  That will erase every sector on the disks.

Then put the disks back in the system and power it up - it will then do a fresh factory install.  

Message 2 of 5
andyfr
Aspirant

Thanks for that suggestion.

I know there was a procedure on rnasguide but that link is now dead. There was a way to do it in the nas but I can't remember what it what.

Message 3 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

For most updating to the latest firmware (if not done already), verifying the firmware update is successful and doing a factory reset (wipes all data, settings, everything) should be good enough.

Writing zeros using the vendor tools is obviously a much more thorough method to wipe the disks.

Message 4 of 5
andyfr
Aspirant

Thank you. Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements