× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Pro 6 - OS6 - Expansion Limits

darebee
Aspirant

Pro 6 - OS6 - Expansion Limits

I have a Pro 6 with 6x 4TB drives installed. Yes I did a factory reset already once when going from 6x 2TB drive to 6x 4TB drives. Hated this because backing up and restoring was very time consuming.

My question is if I Install OS6 (I understand I have a factory reset just to get to OS 6) but would I be able to perform volume expansion without having to do another factory reset? IE I want to grow from 6x 4TB drives to 6x 6TB drives without buying all 6 drives at once and expand as I add.Also the 8 TB lifetime growth expansion is no longer an issue, right? Or do I need to get a a new ReadyNAS 316 or 516 to do what I am doing and not worry about future expansion limits...

Thanks for your time.
-Darren
Message 1 of 2
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Pro 6 - OS6 - Expansion Limits

The expansion limits of OS4 do not apply when running OS6. So yes after the factory default (wipes all data, settings, everything) required when installing OS6 you shouldn't need to do another one for expansion reasons.

The 8TB and 16TB limits were filesystem related issues. We are using a different filesystem on OS6.

A 316 or 516 would be the supported route to go down. The 516 is the logical new model to get to get something faster than your Pro 6.
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements