× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Pro 6 X-RAID2 Changes

dejhon
Guide

Pro 6 X-RAID2 Changes

Alright.

So I have a Pro 6 which has been fantastic (except for a hack, which is not it's fault!).

The problem I am having is that I have hit my capacity. I currently have 6 x 3TB WD Red drives in X-RAID2. I had it set up so 3 were used as capacity and 3 were used for redundancy.

I was wondering if I could take out 2 of the drives and re-install them in a way that expands my capacity by 6TB (and have one left for redundancy) [5 x 3TB + 3TB]
Is this possible without reinstalling the OS and wiping the data on there?

Cheers,

D
Message 1 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Pro 6 X-RAID2 Changes

Using X-RAID2 dual-redundancy it would actually be redundancy against any 2 disks failing.

You cannot shrink an X-RAID2 volumes. It is eXpandable-RAID not shrinkable RAID.

I don't like the use of single redundancy with such high capacity disks.

Since you're going to need to do a reset anyway I'd put higher capacity disks in and stick with dual-redundancy.
Message 2 of 4
dejhon
Guide

So what you're saying is: no, it's not possible.

And I would love to do that, sadly I do not have the funds to be able to do that.. Hence why I asked the question
Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

To be clear, you can get 15 TB capacity with xraid2 in a pro-6. You would need to do a factory reset to get there, so you would need to back your data up.

mdgm prefers dual-redundancy with volumes that size. I have used 6x3TB single redundancy in my pro for some years with no issues - though I do maintain 3 copies of all my data.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements