× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Pro 6: yay or nay?

sander11
Aspirant

Pro 6: yay or nay?

I have a pro 6 which has been upgraded to a Q6600 CPU with 8 GB of RAM. There have been reports of fan control problems on these units. Has anyone had good luck upgrading a similar config? Are there additional steps that I would need to take to control the fan or get the cpu to report correctly?

TIA
Message 1 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

OS6 should work fine on a Pro 6.

Some have installed fancontrol to control fan speeds but this shouldn't be necessary on current firmware.

If you aren't happy with the minimum fan speed there is a file you can create to set a higher minimum.

If you don't like OS6 you can downgrade again (requires another factory default - wipes all data, settings, everything).
Message 2 of 9
ifixidevices
Luminary

I know this is a month old topic but just FYI I have the same config (Q6600 and 8GB's of ram on a pro 6) and the fans are running great on OS 6.2.0 (for my setup the fan runs at about 1200RPM or so and my drives stay between 38 and 42 degrees Celsius (the box is in a room without ventilation so take it as it is.
Message 3 of 9
sander11
Aspirant

Interesting. My cpu fan averages around 1700 with the cpu itself around 40 C and the drives between 33-34. This is in a small room with so-so ventilation. The biggest variance is the cpu which gets much lower in the spring and fall when the room temperature drops, but I don't think I've ever seen the cpu fan go as low as 1200 even then.
The system fan is almost always 1900. Now I'm not saying this is right and if some of the data I've read is correct running servers hotter isn't quite as bad as it once was thought, but I will have to weigh this out.
Thanks for the input! Were there any tweaks needed to get the q6600 to report correctly?
Message 4 of 9
btaroli
Prodigy

I have a feeling I know the answer to this, but it's become such a presumption lately that I really have to ask... is 6.2 allowing bare installation on older Intel NAS'es now, or are the "unsupported" workarounds still required?
Message 5 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

4.2.x won't accept a standard 6.2.x image. It is not a supported upgrade.

You have to use the workaround still to upgrade, however I have updated the R4 to R6 image to go direct to 6.2.0 now. If you download it and examine the header you will see that it is the 6.2 firmware image.
Message 6 of 9
ifixidevices
Luminary

Sander:

I didn't have any issues with the Q6600... worked as soon as it was installed and it's been put through it's paces! I do notice on OS 6.2.1RC2 that the fan is running more slowly and my drive temps are up. I haven't really made the box do anything terribly intensive to get the fans spin up but I imagine if I do they'll maybe spin a bit faster (they're in the 900RPM range right now.)
Message 7 of 9
sander11
Aspirant

Thanks for the update! I'll take the plunge soon, once I backup everything. All in with BTRFS come what may!
Message 8 of 9
spiderman1
Guide

If you would like to know, I have put my Pro 6 with CPU mod (i.e. Q6600) to the test with Blu-Ray streaming using the highest transcoding setting for Plex. The fans will vary between 1900 to 2200 RPM with OS 6. No fancontrol is installed. Moreover, I have had no issues with services (ftp, smb, nfs, etc.) or running apps. Readycloud client for my Iphone and Ipad work without any issues.

In all, I have had no major problems with OS6 since installing about a year now.

I hope this helps put your mind to rest.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements