× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

[Pro Pioneer 6.5.1] NAS becomes unresponsive after random interval

bradgom
Tutor

Re: [Pro Pioneer 6.5.1] NAS becomes unresponsive after random interval

I also haven't had any crashes since my previous post a month ago. The system is running 6.6.1 as before, and nothing else has changed. The only thing I can think of is that there is less backup/synching being done now than before.

Message 51 of 71
monochromic
Aspirant

I too have had this exact same issue rear it's ugly head on numerous occassions with my ReadyNAS Pro 6 NAS since upgrading to OS 6.x (currently on 6.8.0 and it's still occuring).

Anyone ever find a solution to this? It's frustrating to say the least.

Message 52 of 71
kekegsm
Guide

Pro6: I have crashes too, just lost 16TB data last month, (RAID5 gone after a crash...)

My Ultra6 still working after last restart, 17day.

Message 53 of 71
Sandshark
Sensei

Up until recently, I had 4 ProBE/Pro6 models running 6.x and had only one crash I can recall over an 18 month period.  Two ran continuously and the other two came on nightly for backup.  I did have 2GB of RAM in the backup systems and 4GB in the active ones, which may have made a difference.

Message 54 of 71
monochromic
Aspirant

Oh, interesting. I've just ordered a 2 x 2GB RAM kit, so I'll see how it performs with the additional RAM. It's currently loaded with the stock 1GB. Fingers crossed.

Message 55 of 71
monochromic
Aspirant

2 x 2GB sticks arrived. Installed them last night, and all good for 21 hours and then... unresponsive. Hard restart required.

Bummer. 

Anyone had any more luck with this?

Message 56 of 71
StephenB
Guru

@monochromic wrote:

Anyone had any more luck with this?

My pro-6 isn't running OS-6, but I do have 2x4GB memory installed.  The NAS can be quite fussy about memory, and I've never owned a Pro Pioneer.  But if you post the specifics on what memory you ordered, then some other folks might be able to give you more help. 

FWIW, you might want to double-check that both chips are fully seated.

Message 57 of 71
kekegsm
Guide

I have Ultra6 and Pro6 too.

With 6.8.0, Ultra6 is stable, (now 26 days, 22 hours, 20 minutes, last restart was because of change the UPS battery, not crash)

Pro6 crashing after 1-3 day. (E7500 CPU, 2x1GB DDR2-800 RAM). And I found, the chipset (big silver heatsink) is very-very hot. Moreless untouchable. I have 2pcs 40x40x20  COOLTEK CT-SILENT FAN4020 on this heatsink, directly powered from molex,and still 70-75 celsius.

CPU temp is normal, I use a powerfull Alpenföhn Silvretta cooler on it.

When I used under ReadyOS 4.2.31, it was colder. Not just the sensor temp show it, I felt it to with my finger. Maybe 20-25 celsius colder.

Maybe the chipset controll have problems in the OS6? And affected on Core2 and Pentium based stuff only, but not the Atom maybe.

Message 58 of 71
MaxxMark
Luminary

@MaxxMark wrote:

As an update;

After my update to 6.6.1 (27-04-2017) I only had one restart, which was a manual reboot because there was a network issue (unrelated to the unresponsiveness).

Right now it has been up voor 14 days again. It _seems_ that the problem went away (or at least it is much less frequent). But I'll only celebrate when it hits a 30+ day uptime again.

Just to reply on myself; 

It's almost 5 months later, and after upgrading to 6.6.1, the problems seemed have gone away. I had continued to run 6.6.1 for a while and hadn't had any problems since. I had done a full factory reset last month (went from raid-6 to raid-5, which was unrelated to the problem though).

In my situation the upgrade to 6.6.1 resolved the issue. But based on other threads, it doesn't feel like it explicitly fixed an issue. Ive seen new updates which helped others, but didnt help mine. And I expect that this version fixed mine, but probably doesn't fix issues for others.

Message 59 of 71
kekegsm
Guide

Can you share you configuration? The exact type, part number of your cpu and memory modules?

Message 60 of 71
kekegsm
Guide

Now I ordered E2160 CPU and 1gb DDR2-667 ram module from ebay, this is the original config of my NAS (now I use with E7500 and 2x1GB DDR2-800 ram).

I will reply, if I got the stuffs and installed and tested for a month.

Message 61 of 71
Sandshark
Sensei

I don't thnk that's it.  I have E7400's in mine, and don't have that issue.  Having only 1GB of RAM might be a bigger problem, as all native OS6.x machines have 2GB.

Message 62 of 71
xraystyle
Tutor

I've upgraded both the RAM and the CPU in my Pro 6 quite some time ago, before 6.x was even available. My NAS was completely stable on 6.x until after one of the point version upgrades. I don't remember exactly, but I think 6.2-something was the last time it worked 100%.

Everything I've been able to find about this issue points to an ethernet driver problem. It's either that or I have failing hardware, but that seems highly unlikely.

Message 63 of 71
kekegsm
Guide

cpu and mem is 7USD togethet (with post), I can try it.

Message 64 of 71
kekegsm
Guide

I tried testing with disc-change.

Primary setup: 2x4TB WD_Red + 4x3TB WD_Red, all in a Raid5/X-RAID. All disc 100% health, no bad sector or any other error

Secondary setup: 6x500GB mixed drive (WD Blue, WD Green, Seagate Barracuda,Toshiba, Hitachi, Samsung), all in a Raid5/X-RAID. 3 disc health 100%, other 3 have bad sectors, Samsung is only 22% in HDSentinel.

With the Secondary setup, my NAS worked 15day without error.

than I changed to Primary this morning.

Now 21:59, 6crash today.

I tested all of discs in primary, with WD Diagnostic, with HD sentinel, no error.

Incompatible HDD maybe?

Message 65 of 71
kekegsm
Guide

Oh, I forgot:

Tested with 1x1GB DDR2-666 mem: Crash

Tested with 2x1GB DDR2-666 mem: Crash 

Tested with 1x1GB DDR2-800 mem: Crash

Tested with 2x1GB DDR2-800 mem: Crash

Tested with E2130 CPU: Crash

Tested with E5800 CPU: Crash

Tested with E7500 CPU: Crash

Maybe the NAS is faulty. But for everybody???

Message 66 of 71
kekegsm
Guide

New test:

I apply memory just for the left side slot (CPU side, not front side).

After 1 day, no crash yet.

Message 67 of 71
Sandshark
Sensei

As best I have been able to tell, the Pro RAM is not dual channel.  So other than having less, only using one slot should not affect performance.  Hope that fixes your problem.

Message 68 of 71
xraystyle
Tutor

After much gnashing of teeth and rending of clothing, having had this issue with my Pro 6 for well over a year now, I believe I've finally stopped the intermittent crashing. 

Solution: I disabled IPv6 everywhere I could find to do so. Did it in the GUI, tried to disable the kernel module, every possible way I could think of. Since I've done this, I've seen uptime of almost 40 days. Prior to this, I never got to 20 days without a crash. 

I've posted in this thread about this and in a few others that seem like they might be the same symptoms. Check my post history if the details interest you. At this point I'm pretty sure it's the combination of the NIC, the ethernet driver, and IPv6 being enabled. I wasn't using IPv6, so it didn't matter to me if it was turned off. I'd love to hear if this fixes issues for anyone else. If you don't need IPv6, turn it off, see if it helps.

Message 69 of 71
monochromic
Aspirant

Unfortunately, this issue has persisted even with the latest 6.9.1 firmware, so I'm thankful for the tip!

I've just disabled IPv6 via the GUI. I'll report back with any updates. Fingers crossed!

Message 70 of 71
monochromic
Aspirant

Damn, same issued just occured after around 2 days, even after turning off IPv6 in the GUI. 

Bummer.

Message 71 of 71
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 70 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements