× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Pro Pioneer suddenly says it's overheating?

nyCecilia
Aspirant

Pro Pioneer suddenly says it's overheating?

Hi all,

I've been running my Pro Pioneer for over a decade now, and it's been on the last known firmware (4.2.31) for a couple of years with no problem.  Suddenly last night I get a notice that Sensor 1 is out of spec...it was as high as 70C before I turned it off.  The weird thing is that it was ONLY Sensor 1 that showed overheating...everything else was well within spec.  I've upgraded drives as needed and haven't had any issues up until now.

Is my Pro Pioneer doomed?  If so, the timing is most unfortunate as it seems I can't get a new one within my price range right now (due to scarcity, I think).

Is there a way to fix whatever is failing with Sensor 1?  This of course would be my first choice in any case, but since I can't buy a new ReadyNas anyway, it would be great if there were something I could do.

Thoughts?

Thank you,

Cecilia

Model: RNDP600E|ReadyNAS Pro Pioneeer Chassis only
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Pro Pioneer suddenly says it's overheating?

Could be a build-up of dust, pet hair, etc. on/near the sensor or in the vent holes (esp. of the door).  If you smoke near the NAS, it can be far worse, as the tar acts as glue.  If the location of the NAS is near the floor, especially if not carpeted, that can also lead to more debris build-up (esp. pet hair).

If you have any slots without drives or caddies, fill them with caddies.  The airflow is designed to include that resistance.  But that likely would not be the cause of a sudden change.

The only real option for debris build-up is to open it up and see, using compressed air (aerosol can type is fine) to remove anything you find.  If there is tar residue, you may need 90% alcohol and a q-tip, but use care and insure everything is dry before powering on.  If you use air to clean the fan, don't let it free-wheel.  That can damage the bearings.  Use something to keep it from rotating while you spray. 

Lastly, check your air conditioning if you are somewhere that currently has warm weather.  I had an "overheat problem" and it turned out my A/C was cutting out mid-day when I was at work (I found out a few days later when it quit entirely).  But, that would likely affect drive temperatures, too.

If you do find a debris build-up, doing a compressed air clean-out periodically without disassembly can help prevent future problems.  But once you have a problem, you almost laways need a thorough cleaning, which requires taking off the covers.  One of my spring cleaning trasks is to take every computer, NAS, etc. outside and dust them out with compressed air.  But I do have an air compressor.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

Could be a build-up of dust, pet hair, etc. on/near the sensor or in the vent holes (esp. of the door).  If you smoke near the NAS, it can be far worse, as the tar acts as glue.  If the location of the NAS is near the floor, especially if not carpeted, that can also lead to more debris build-up (esp. pet hair).

If you have any slots without drives or caddies, fill them with caddies.  The airflow is designed to include that resistance.  But that likely would not be the cause of a sudden change.

The only real option for debris build-up is to open it up and see, using compressed air (aerosol can type is fine) to remove anything you find.  If there is tar residue, you may need 90% alcohol and a q-tip, but use care and insure everything is dry before powering on.  If you use air to clean the fan, don't let it free-wheel.  That can damage the bearings.  Use something to keep it from rotating while you spray. 

Lastly, check your air conditioning if you are somewhere that currently has warm weather.  I had an "overheat problem" and it turned out my A/C was cutting out mid-day when I was at work (I found out a few days later when it quit entirely).  But, that would likely affect drive temperatures, too.

If you do find a debris build-up, doing a compressed air clean-out periodically without disassembly can help prevent future problems.  But once you have a problem, you almost laways need a thorough cleaning, which requires taking off the covers.  One of my spring cleaning trasks is to take every computer, NAS, etc. outside and dust them out with compressed air.  But I do have an air compressor.

Message 2 of 10
nyCecilia
Aspirant

Hi Sandshark, and thanks so much.  This is kind of one of my suspicions...I have a little "under the stairs server room" that is cut off to pets, raised off the floor, I don't smoke, and I'm in the bay area where it rarely goes above 70 F (I don't have A/C), but for the last week there has been construction near my apartment and I suspect that may be related. I'm in the process of emptying the little closet out of boxes, thinking that all that cardboard certainly can't help the situation.

I did open it up this morning and there was a ton of junk in there so I blew out as much as I could with canned air and right now it's been on for about an hour and Temp Sys (sensor 1) seems to be holding at 60C which still seems hot.  CPU is still at 34C and all the drives in a similar range. 

I do have one open bay but the caddy is in there and has been all along.  Do you think it would be beneficial to put a drive in it?  I bought a couple of drives for replacing the two oldest ones when the prices went down recently, but I've been saving to do that, still the two oldest aren't *very* old yet.

I didn't think about alcohol cleaning...so that I don't get it too wrong, are there any particular parts that I should look for to clean with alcohol?  I do have 90% from a previous project, although it's likely on the old side.

Thank you so much for your quick response.  I am hopeful to keep my server running, at least until there are more ReadyNas ready in the stores!

Cecilia

Message 3 of 10
nyCecilia
Aspirant

Ugh, I wonder if I accidentally harmed the SYS fan...it was spinning fine last night, but today it seems to be moving pretty slowly despite the 60c Sys temp.

Message 4 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@nyCecilia wrote:

Ugh, I wonder if I accidentally harmed the SYS fan...it was spinning fine last night, but today it seems to be moving pretty slowly despite the 60c Sys temp.

Do you recall what it was before the overheating incident?

Message 5 of 10
nyCecilia
Aspirant

Unfortunately, no.  It's been months since I've even had to think about it.  Bad on me, but I just got busy.  Maybe 60c is normal?

Message 6 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@nyCecilia wrote:

Unfortunately, no.  It's been months since I've even had to think about it.  Bad on me, but I just got busy.  Maybe 60c is normal?

I'm not sure about the Pioneer, but it's fairly typical for a Pro. https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/ReadyNas-Pro-6-High-Temperature/td-...

Message 7 of 10
nyCecilia
Aspirant

Thanks.  Close enough for me.  🙂  I'm so relieved that it is not emminent doom for my Nas and will look for a replacement when things improve.  In the meantime,

--I will stay on top of cleaning going forward, but do you know what spots I should be looking at for alcohol swabbing?

--Do you think it's better to leave it with the 5 drives as is and one empty but with the empty caddy in place, or to put a drive in the 6th caddy?

Cecilia

Message 8 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

If the dust all appeared to blow out, I don't suggest going to the alcohol.  If you aren't careful, you can do more harm than good.  The alcohol is only for when there is something making the dust stick (tobacco residue being the most notorious).

It is, of course, possible that the sensor or something else in the monitoring circuit has been partly damaged, but my Pro6's also always ran a lot hotter under OS6 than OS4 with what seemed like similar fan speed. (past tense only because I took them out of service in November)   I didn't remember it runnig quite that high, but I just powered on a ProBE that's been unpowered for weeks, in a room that is cerainly no warmer than 24C (here in the Tampa Bay area of Florida, my A/C is on), and the first recorded system temperature was 50C.  CPU was 44, and the drives showed a much more reasonable 25 and 26C.  After 10 minutes, the system is up to 58, CPU is flat at 44, and the 6 drives (3TB WD reds) are 30 or 31. My Pro2, which runs constantly in a warmer room, shows 29C system, 50C CPU, and 35/37 for the drives (2TB Hitachi enterprise, so they run hotter than the reds).

The CPU temperature is known to not be very accurate, especially at lower temperatures (there is a normally a "bottom plateau"), but the system temperature should be able to be more accurate.  I certainly don't believe my ProBE warmed up that much in the minute or so it takes to boot and then has only warmed another 8C in 10 minutes (and that even seems like a lot).  So, I think the scale factor and/or bias applied by OS6 is not accurate.  Interrestingly, unlike most of the other sensors, the system temperature does not have a scale factor given in the config file.  So if the sensor or circuit are different in the legacy sysem vs. newer ones, that could be the problem.

I've not looked at a Pro circuit board hard enough to see if I can ID the temperature sensor type.

As long as you have the caddy installed, you don't need to install a drive just for cooling.  The heat generated by the drive would probably warm it more.

Message 9 of 10
nyCecilia
Aspirant

Thank you!  Completely appreciate the help, you have no idea 🙂  Feeling a bit better this evening about the whole mess, at least I have time to replace it properly now.  🙂

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements