× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Problem accessing one of the shares on ReadyNAS OS 6.2

kbdev
Aspirant

Problem accessing one of the shares on ReadyNAS OS 6.2

Good day

We are using a ReadyNAS OS 6.2 on the network to backup data from various servers. On the NAS I created a number of shares. The following are two of the shares:

A share called Aria: this is used to backup data from a Windows server

A share called Pinnacle: this is used to backup data from a Unix computer and the share is mounted on the Unix machine.

All the shares have the same network access and file access permissions.

The backups from the Unix machine is working and when I access the NAS via the web interface I can access the Pinnacle share and see the contents of the share. But I cannot access the Pinnacle share from Windows Explorer (Windows 7 Enterprise). It tells me access denied. I can access the other shares (including the Aria share) from the Windows Explorer with no problems.

Is it perhaps because the Pinnacle share is mounted on a Unix machine? Is there a way to access it via Windows Explorer?

Thanks

Kobus 

Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: Problem accessing one of the shares on ReadyNAS OS 6.2

Is Aria shared using SMB?  Did you try resetting the file system permissions via the web UI?

Message 2 of 4
kbdev
Aspirant

@StephenB

Both the shares (Aria and Pinnacle) are using SMB. I have made screen shots of the permissions and settings for both shares and compared the screen shots side by side and they seem identical.

The only difference is that the Pinnacle share is mounted on the Unix computer.

I am a bit nervous to reset the file system permissions for the Pinnacle share, because I do not potentially want to affect the Unix mounting. We had a pay quite a bit of money to get Philips Healthcare to mount the NAS on the Unix computer. The Unix computer is part of a medical device.

I am stumped at the moment.

Kobus

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Well, the fact that it is mounted on Linux doesn't block you from mounting it on another machine (including a Windows PC).

If you are concerned about changing permissions you might need to contact Philips Healthcare for help.

One other thing you could try is looking at the share owner in the NAS, and using the share owner's credentials when accessing the share from Windows.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements