× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Problem accessing some files on ReadyNAS 314 from Windows 10

jbfox
Initiate

Problem accessing some files on ReadyNAS 314 from Windows 10

I'm having trouble accessing some files on my ReadyNAS 314 from a new Windows 10 machine (from both File Explorer and from inside Plex).  They were added to the NAS from a Windows 7 machine (and are still accessible).  Some files in a directory are accessible and some are not.  In addition, some directories within a share are accessible and some are not.  I've attached to the NAS using the "guest" user.

The share is setup with SMB and "everyone" is given read/write access.  The folder owner and group is set as "guest".

This is on a home network so I'm not particularly worried about security.  The only two machines on the network are the Windows 7 and the Windows 10 machines.

The firmware version is 6.9.1.

Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Try resetting the file permissions for the share.

Click on the share settings wheel.  Then navigate to the file access page and press "reset".

Message 2 of 3
jbfox
Initiate

Looks like the issue was that I wasn't actually using the "guest" user from the Windows 10 machine to access the NAS. 

I fixed this by creating another share on the NAS and then trying to access it from File Explorer by typing in the UNC path directly.  This brought up a dialog that allowed me to log into the NAS again.  When I used the "guest" user everything started working properly for all the shares.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements