× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Problem changing Admin password

Bricerowe
Aspirant

Problem changing Admin password

Hi - I am having trouble changing my admin password for accessing the admin page on my ReadyNas 312. The change returns an error message "failed to set admin account password". I have tried several different formats to no avail. Can anyone suggest why this may be.

Model: RN31221D|ReadyNAS 300 Series 2- Bay (2x 1TB Desktop)
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Bricerowe
Aspirant

Hi StephenB

Just letting you know I resolved the Admin Password issue. Idont really understand why, but I created a new user, added it to admin group and then it allowed the admin password change? Go figger - anyway I'm happy. Thanks again.

Regards

Brice

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

What firmware version are you running?

Is authentication set to "local users"?

What do you mean by "different formats"?

Message 2 of 6
Bricerowe
Aspirant

Hi Stephen

Thanks for your interest.

Running 6.9.1

Authentication is set to "Local Users"

By different formats I mean - with and without special characters eg ! @, numbers and upper lower case combinations etc.

Regards

Brice

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Did you ever change the name of the admin group?  (don't try it, it has bad side effects).

Perhaps see if a netgear mod requests to see the logs.

If not, you could try an OS reinstall from the boot menu, which will reset the password to password.  Then you could try to change it again.

Message 4 of 6
Bricerowe
Aspirant

Thanks - no I haven’t changed the admin group or user name. I will try your other suggestions and let you know how I go. 

Regards

Brice

Message 5 of 6
Bricerowe
Aspirant

Hi StephenB

Just letting you know I resolved the Admin Password issue. Idont really understand why, but I created a new user, added it to admin group and then it allowed the admin password change? Go figger - anyway I'm happy. Thanks again.

Regards

Brice

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements