× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Problem installing second disk in RAID0

acepilot1023
Aspirant

Problem installing second disk in RAID0

Okay, so for a little while now I've had a second 1TB drive ready to accompany my 2TB drive in my ReadyNAS Duo V2. When I placed the drive in, it showed up in RAIDar in the green LED. However, when I opened the admin page, it does not show up under volumes. I tinkered with it for quite some time, including a few factory resets, trying to get it to show the second drive. I eventually came to the determination, that the drive wasn't compatible with this NAS, or something similar to that.

A couple days back, I figured hey, I'll give it another shot. After all, I could really use that extra TB of space. After trying a few more fresh installed setups, I decided to remove the 2TB drive, just to see if the ReadyNAS would recognize my 1TB drive. It did indeed, and everything went okay. I switched my 1TB to disk 1, and my 2TB to disk 2, seeing if that would make a difference, but to no avail.

This is a screenshot of the admin page, while both disks are inserted and configed to be in RAID0: http://i.imgur.com/WlWBu.png

Both the disks showing up in RAIDar:

I'm pretty stumped at this point. I was hoping the recent firmware upgrade might solve my issues 😐
Message 1 of 5
HERBIEO
Aspirant

Re: Problem installing second disk in RAID0

Go to the shares tab and create a new share and you should be able to choose which volume to create it on it should show up as (D:)
if it does create the share and then see if it shows under volumes, i think you have to do this before it shows up under volumes.
Message 2 of 5
acepilot1023
Aspirant

In the Share's tab, while creating a new share, the volume option is greyed out.

To show the drives in the info tab, showing everything is supposedly working correctly:

Message 3 of 5
acepilot1023
Aspirant

Just got another 1TB drive for free today, so I figured I'd try to install that into the NAS with my original 1TB drive. With 2 x 1TB drives, the RAID configuration shows up correctly upon a fresh install with no additional steps. Why can't I RAID0 a 2TB and a 1TB?
Message 4 of 5
chirpa
Luminary

That would be considered JBOD, not RAID-0, since the drive capacity doesn't match.

If you replaced the Disk1 1TB with a 2TB, the volume would expand to 2TB usable.

The default setup for Duo v2 is X-RAID2, which can only be one volume. To use the extra 1TB of space on that second disk, you would have to factory default (erase all data) and switch to Flex-RAID mode.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements