× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Problem with RN102 randomly freezing

jake1000x
Aspirant

Problem with RN102 randomly freezing

Hi,

Recently I have started to have a very annoying issue with my NAS.

It randomly becomes unresponsive, i cannot see it on any device or access the admin page and when i press the power button it doesnt flash to confirm i want to shutdown, it just does nothing. I thought it was the auto shutdown which was causing it so i turned it off. I tried a OS reinstall, it was fine for a day or so but it happened again. It doesnt seem to freeze between the hours of 16:00 - 22:00 but then either it has frozen when i wake up or when i arrive home from work. The only way i can solve it atm is by pulling the power, which i dont like doing as i have heard it can damage the disk.

Currently on version 6.5.1

The maximum users at once is 3 but it is usually 1 or 2,

I have one 3TB WD red in bay 1 and nothing in bay 2. All i have stored on the disk is movies and series,

I have about 980GB free space of the 3TB so i wouldnt say its close to full. I am planning on getting a new 4TB to mirror but want this problem solved.

I can attach my recently downloaded logs to this page if needed.

Any advice?

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 18

Accepted Solutions
jake1000x
Aspirant

Have managed to get Plex working. Also the freezing of my NAS has stopped since i disabled snapshots so think that was the issue. Whenever it deleted old snapshots it seemed to freeze up.

View solution in original post

Message 18 of 18

All Replies
A212
Aspirant

Did you recently upgrade to FW 6.5.1 or have you been using it for awhile prior to the NAS becoming unresponsive? You mention that the NAS does not freeze between the hours of 16:00 - 22:00. Is there something you are doing with the NAS during the hours outside of the range where it does not freeze (ex: backup activity, virus scan, etc.)?

Message 2 of 18
jake1000x
Aspirant

Off the top of my head i updated to the version before this one about 4-5 weeks ago and the problems happened once or twice. Then i updated to my current version about 2 weeks ago, ever since then it has frozen most days. I have had the NAS around over a year now and i have never had a problem with it until now.

I have no backups running. I have Anti-virus Plus installed which is scheduled to scan at Monday 20:00

On the NAS system logs, the main things on there are mainly snapshot related stuff. The last log on the system before it freezes is the NAS deleting a snapshot of my videos folder.

Message 3 of 18
A212
Aspirant

Could be a bug/issue with the firmware. Are you experiencing any issues with the hard drive itself (performance issues, clicking noises, etc.)? Do the logs show any disk errors? A faulty/failing hard drive could cause random freezing as well.

Is your RN102 still covered under a Netgear support agreement? If so, you may want to open a trouble ticket with Netgear so they can investigate/troubleshoot further. If not and you have a spare hard drive, you could try replacing the drive to see if you continue to experience the random freezing. If the freezing stops, the hard drive was likely faulty/failing. If you continue to experience freezing, the issue is more likely to be a bug/issue with the firmware (barring a major hardware failure - I/O controller failure).

Message 4 of 18
jake1000x
Aspirant

When the NAS is on and working the hard drive works perfectly. It streams and uploads fine, just a slight "read/write noise" but that is normal and has happened since day 1. No errors showing on the logs.

How do i know if it is still covered?

no spare hard drive, will maybe be buying a 4TB WD red in a week or two.

Cheers, for replies.

Message 5 of 18
A212
Aspirant

Also, can you confirm that the hard drive you are using with the RN102 is a stock drive that came with the unit or in the case of a diskless unit, that the hard drive you are using is on Netgear's compatibility list for the RN102. An incompatible drive or one that has not been tested & certified to work in the RN102, may cause issues. To check compatibility, go to: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/readynas_hcl_disk OR http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20641/~/readynas-hard-disk-compatibility-list?cid=wmt_....

Message 6 of 18
A212
Aspirant

You can go to MyNetgear.com and under the login for MyNetgear, there is an option to check "Is my product under warranty?". Click the link and enter the serial number for your device.

If you already have a MyNetgear account and your device is registered to that account, you should be able to see your device and the support / warranty availability by logging in and then selecting "My Products".

Message 7 of 18
jake1000x
Aspirant

Yes the hard drive is on the list i made sure before buying the hard drive. 

i have just looked on my profile,  the NAS is covered for hardware. call, chat and email support has ran out. i take it i have to pay for them to offer me support? 

Message 8 of 18
A212
Aspirant

Unfortunately, yes. Either you would need to buy one of their support plans that offer phone/chat/e-mail support or they will ask for a CC number when you call for support.

Message 9 of 18
StephenB
Guru

Do you have any apps installed on the NAS?  If so, which ones?

Also, have you seen anything in the logs on disk errors (ATA errors, reallocated sectors, etc)?

Message 10 of 18
jake1000x
Aspirant

I have anti-virus Plus and Plex installed. I installed anti-virus plus a week after setting up the NAS and i installed plex around 5-6 months ago.

Nope, no errors what so ever in the logs.

Message 11 of 18
StephenB
Guru

If you can live w/o plex, perhaps disable it for a couple of days (to isolate if it is related to the problem or not).

Some time ago I did see my RN102 freeze sometimes when plex was searching the web for metadata.  It became completely non-responsive, and the NIC activity light was solidly lit.

Message 12 of 18
jake1000x
Aspirant

Yes that happened to me when i first got the NAS (just over a year), i made plex load all the metadata for all my films at the time and it just froze the system. That made me uninstall the plex app but ever since i reinstalled it 5-6 months ago it has worked flawlessly, with me being able to load all the movies/series metadata within a few second. i am pretty sure it isnt the plex but i will give it ago.

UPDATE (Sunday 00:30) - The NAS has just frozen up again for the first time in 2 days. It froze at about 00:15-00:20 while i was streaming a film to a PS3 (not using the plex app). This could be the time it has been freezing every night but i wouldnt normally know as i would be asleep and not using the NAS. atm I am having trouble getting the NAS to restart properly, i have pulled the power and now the power light/button is pulsing slowly, ACT and "1" are solid.  I am just going to leave it for now and see what it is doing tomorrow.

Cheers for all the help so far.

Message 13 of 18
jake1000x
Aspirant

So as i explained in my last post, it froze again last night at about 00:15. here are my logs from around that time. Is there anyway to stop the NAS creating and deleting snapshots to rule it out for the cause of the probem?

Sun Jul 17 2016 22:03:30 System: Antivirus scanner definition file was updated to 201607171924.
Sun Jul 17 2016 21:48:53 System: ReadyNASOS background service started.
Sun Jul 17 2016 21:48:47 System: ReadyNASOS service or process was restarted.
Sun Jul 17 2016 0:23:10 snapshot: Snapshot prune worker successfully deleted snapshot 2016_06_19__00_00_05 from share or LUN Videos.
Sun Jul 17 2016 0:23:06 snapshot: Snapshot prune worker successfully deleted snapshot 2016_06_19__00_00_04 from share or LUN Pictures.
Sun Jul 17 2016 0:23:02 snapshot: Snapshot prune worker successfully deleted snapshot 2016_06_19__00_00_02 from share or LUN Music.
Sun Jul 17 2016 0:22:47 System: ReadyNASOS background service started.
Sun Jul 17 2016 0:22:41 System: ReadyNASOS service or process was restarted.
Sun Jul 17 2016 0:12:30 snapshot: Snapshot prune worker successfully deleted snapshot 2016_06_19__00_00_05 from share or LUN Videos.
Sun Jul 17 2016 0:12:26 snapshot: Snapshot prune worker successfully deleted snapshot 2016_06_19__00_00_04 from share or LUN Pictures.
Sun Jul 17 2016 0:12:22 snapshot: Snapshot prune worker successfully deleted snapshot 2016_06_19__00_00_02 from share or LUN Music.
Sun Jul 17 2016 0:00:07 Miscellaneous: Snapshot c_1468710004 was successfully created for share or LUN Videos.
Sun Jul 17 2016 0:00:06 Miscellaneous: Snapshot c_1468710004 was successfully created for share or LUN Pictures.
Sun Jul 17 2016 0:00:05 Miscellaneous: Snapshot c_1468710004 was successfully created for share or LUN Music.
Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 14 of 18
jake1000x
Aspirant

Update- Managed to find how to turn off snapshots. While i was turning them off it deleted all the snapshots stored, which caused the NAS to freeze up. I think that is the cause of the problem, while the system is deleting the snapshots. I will see if it freezes tonight.

I now have another problem, the plex app has gone. when i look on the available apps it isn’t on the list. How can i get it back on the list so i can reinstall it?

Message 15 of 18
AlexPe
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Jake1000x,

You can download a new install package for your NAS from plex.tv. Then you can go through the manual installation.

AlexPe

Message 16 of 18
jake1000x
Aspirant

I have tried this. i went to https://www.plex.tv/downloads/ then chose NAS>Netgear. i have tried all 3 downloads, one doesnt install, one installs but wont run the app and the other installs runs but doesnt let me create libaires within the app.

Is there a reason this has gone off my avalible list?

The Plex app has also gone off http://apps.readynas.com/pages/ List?

Seems others are having the same issue, around the same time mine went off - https://community.netgear.com/t5/Current-NETGEAR-and-Partners/Plex-Media-Server-not-install-on-RN204...

Thanks for the reply

Message 17 of 18
jake1000x
Aspirant

Have managed to get Plex working. Also the freezing of my NAS has stopped since i disabled snapshots so think that was the issue. Whenever it deleted old snapshots it seemed to freeze up.

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements