× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Problem with Shares

WillidsNet
Aspirant

Problem with Shares

I have setup the accounts and shares, I need a couple of folders protecting from anyone else on the network.

When I go to the PC and view Network > Named Network >  I see , All Folders, data (folder shows all folders including hidden ones) & home

I have managed to hide some folders using shares > folder name > settings > network access > SMB > Advanced > hide folder

The problem is users can still access the folders (in data folder) which they do not have permission to see, also some of the information is confidencial so the second question is can I encryt a folder so only those who have access to (network IP address or other means) can see it.

Running Windows 10, ReadyNas 6.10.3 (RN31442D, 4 x 2TB drives)

Have folling available on folders for Network Access > SMB, NFS, AFP, FTP, RSYNC, HTTP, DLNA, iTUNES

Access will always be via computers and not interenet remote access.

Any help is sorting this out to limit access to users and being enable to encrypt a folder would be gratefully accepted. If I have to set the NAS up again I can do so, since the information needs to be made secure and limit users anything can be done to get this sorted (unless it means spending money)

I have created a user called Protected and had to create a folder since the nas did not create the user folders automatically.

Model: RN31442D|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (4x 2TB Desktop)
Message 1 of 7
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Problem with Shares

@WillidsNet

Welcome to the Community!

You will have to set permissions on the shares. Here's a good FAQ page for that.

https://kb.netgear.com/29838/ReadyNAS-Share-and-Permission-FAQ

HTH

Message 2 of 7
WillidsNet
Aspirant

@Marc_V wrote:

@WillidsNet

Welcome to the Community!

You will have to set permissions on the shares. Here's a good FAQ page for that.

https://kb.netgear.com/29838/ReadyNAS-Share-and-Permission-FAQ

HTH

Thank you for the reply, I have tried that and other users can still see it and gain access to it.

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@WillidsNet wrote:

Thank you for the reply, I have tried that and other users can still see it and gain access to it.

If your users are seeing the "data" folder, then they are using the NAS admin credentials.  If you want to restrict their access, they need to use different credentials.  

First create at least one new NAS account for them to use in the web ui.   Then change the NAS admin password so their current admin credential will fail.

Then test access to the shares using the new NAS accounts.

I'm not sure exactly what you tried, but I recommend managing share access using network access rights alone (leaving the file access permissions at the default settings). https://kb.netgear.com/26453/ReadyNAS-OS-6-Set-Network-Access-Rights-to-Shared-Folders

Message 4 of 7
WillidsNet
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

@WillidsNet wrote:

If your users are seeing the "data" folder, then they are using the NAS admin credentials.  If you want to restrict their access, they need to use different credentials.  

First create at least one new NAS account for them to use in the web ui.   Then change the NAS admin password so their current admin credential will fail.

Then test access to the shares using the new NAS accounts.

I'm not sure exactly what you tried, but I recommend managing share access using network access rights alone (leaving the file access permissions at the default settings). https://kb.netgear.com/26453/ReadyNAS-OS-6-Set-Network-Access-Rights-to-Shared-Folders

Once I get that sorted out, is there a way to encrypt the customer information (folder) ?

Message 5 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

@WillidsNet wrote:
Once I get that sorted out, is there a way to encrypt the customer information (folder) ?

No.  You can only encrypt whole volumes.  I use Veracrypt to encrypt sensitive data.  I run it on the PC, not the NAS, with the container only on the NAS.  One potential issue with you using this method is that only one person can open a Veracrypt volume at a time.  BTW, if you go this way, turn off ":strict sync" for the share contining the Veracrypt container, and writes will be 500% faster.

Another thing that may be creating some of your issues is that DLNA does not abide by user permissions.  To keep anyone with access to the NAS from getting to a share, DLNA must be disabled for that share.

Message 6 of 7
WillidsNet
Aspirant

@Sandshark wrote:

@WillidsNet wrote:

No.  You can only encrypt whole volumes.  I use Veracrypt to encrypt sensitive data.  I run it on the PC, not the NAS, with the container only on the NAS.  One potential issue with you using this method is that only one person can open a Veracrypt volume at a time.  BTW, if you go this way, turn off ":strict sync" for the share contining the Veracrypt container, and writes will be 500% faster.

Another thing that may be creating some of your issues is that DLNA does not abide by user permissions.  To keep anyone with access to the NAS from getting to a share, DLNA must be disabled for that share.

Many Thanks

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements