× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Problem with an old Readynas2000

danieleb001
Aspirant

Problem with an old Readynas2000

Hello everybody,

This week my Readynas2000 notified me problems with power supply. messages I got were relòated to poversupply between 10,5V instead of 12V.

I tried to fix it replacing the external power supply with a new one, but without any luck.

I need to recover my data stored in the raid1 disks

There is any way to have this done?

I tried to restore via network, but systen after few minutes automaticcaly switch off.

I'm 99.99999 sure HDs are still operational and data are still there (I tried to see them via trials of EasUS and reclaime.com)

I removed both drives and I tried to recover data directly from the disks, but due the fact that data looks stored in a linux file system I don't know how sort this out.

There is anyone able to advise me on how retrieve my data?

Thanks in advance for all your support

Kind regards

Daniele  

Model: RNDU2000 |READYNAS ULTRA 2 |EOL
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Problem with an old Readynas2000

If you decide to get a used replacement, make sure you do get a compatible one.  You said you have a "ReadyNAS 2000", but there are a lot of models that have a 2000 number.  There is the original Duo (RND2000-100), the Pro2 (RNDP2000-100), Ultra2 (RNDU2000-100), and Duo V2 (RND2000-200).  Only the Pro2 and Ultra2 are compatible with each other.  And if you have a Duo, Netgear used "V2" in two different ways.  Most of the "V2" systems I see for sale on eBay are really V1's.  The best way to tell these all apart from a listing is to look at the back.  Fan size and number of ethernet ports are what to look for.  Duo V1, small fan (also recessed power jack).  Duo V2, large fan and one network port.  Pro2 and Ultra2, large fan and two network ports.  Of course, you could also upgrade to a compatible unit with more bays (where the list gets even more complicated)

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

With RAID1, you can recover from just one drive.  You may be able to accomplish that running the NAS with just one because the load on the +12V will be less.  Try powering down and then booting with just one.   Note that once you have done that, it is best to not put both back in at the same time, at least until you have recovered the data, as they may be out of sync with each other.

Message 2 of 7
danieleb001
Aspirant

Thanks a lot for your answer. I'm working now to acomplish this part.

There is probably another problem with the nas. looks unable to present me the administrtative screen. I think something else is broken inside.
I'm trying now ro connect the NAS via a cross cable tomy PC to avoid any networking issue.

I'm also looking to buy another readynas of the same age of the my defective one, to see if I can use it to recover my precious data.

I'm sure data are still there.

Do you know if I install one of the 2 disks in a brand new Netgear Readynas, I'll be able to recover my data? 

Thanks for your support, really appreciated

Daniele 

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@danieleb001 wrote:

Thanks a lot for your answer. I'm working now to acomplish this part.

Connect disk 1 to a windows PC, and use a free utility called R-linux for windows. ( http://www.r-tt.com/free_linux_recovery/ ).   That takes the NAS itself out of the equation.  Unlike ReclaiMe, it is completely free (though it simply reads a healthy file system, it doesn't try to recover data from a corrupted file system as ReclaiMe does).

@danieleb001 wrote:

I'm trying now ro connect the NAS via a cross cable tomy PC to avoid any networking issue.

You do not need a cross-over cable, as gigabit ethernet auto-detects that and compensates.  https://kb.netgear.com/21414/How-do-I-direct-connect-between-ReadyNAS-and-PC-Mac

Message 4 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

If you decide to get a used replacement, make sure you do get a compatible one.  You said you have a "ReadyNAS 2000", but there are a lot of models that have a 2000 number.  There is the original Duo (RND2000-100), the Pro2 (RNDP2000-100), Ultra2 (RNDU2000-100), and Duo V2 (RND2000-200).  Only the Pro2 and Ultra2 are compatible with each other.  And if you have a Duo, Netgear used "V2" in two different ways.  Most of the "V2" systems I see for sale on eBay are really V1's.  The best way to tell these all apart from a listing is to look at the back.  Fan size and number of ethernet ports are what to look for.  Duo V1, small fan (also recessed power jack).  Duo V2, large fan and one network port.  Pro2 and Ultra2, large fan and two network ports.  Of course, you could also upgrade to a compatible unit with more bays (where the list gets even more complicated)

Message 5 of 7
danieleb001
Aspirant

Thank you very nmuch for your support.
I followed your precious suggestion and I've now extracted, via R-Linux, all the fils I had on the faulty Readynas.

On the bottom of the disk array there was just the model name:RNDU2000 and model number RND-2A

it's very old I got this unit in 2010...

I'm getting now a new and more modern unit that for sure has to be be more reliable than the old one I had. 

Thanks for your precious support, really appreciated

Have a great day

Kind regards

Daniele 

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@danieleb001 wrote:

On the bottom of the disk array there was just the model name:RNDU2000...

This is an ultra-2 - which runs OS 4.2.x firmware.

The current comparable model in the ReadyNAS line is the RN422.  The RN200 series is also worth looking at - it's file transfer speeds are similar to your older ultra.  The RN200 uses an arm CPU and is considered a "home NAS" by Netgear.  The RN400 uses an Intel CPU, and is considered the entry-level business NAS" by Netgear.   Business NAS have longer warranties, and a couple of features that aren't available on the RN200.

FWIW, I like having more than 2 bays - though more expensive up front, having empty slots gives you less expensive expansion later on.  I also like having the LCD panel on the NAS.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements