× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Problem with scanning to ReadyNAS 3138 with NRG MP C2800 printer

BlackMagic
Aspirant

Problem with scanning to ReadyNAS 3138 with NRG MP C2800 printer

Hi.

We have a very very weird problem with scanning to our NAS. Printer is set up to save scanned files to home share of every user of NAS. Every scan saved on NAS looks like this:

printernas.PNG

It doesn't matter if we change the path. Whenever we choose to save scanned files on NAS they look like this one.

We thought that printer is malfuctioning but if we save scanned files in any shared folder on the workstation or any other server, or even send it via email scanned file looks good without those weird multiple-colored bars (yes, they have multiple colors :D)

Does anyone had simillar issue? TBH I have no idea what could possibly cause that.

Software version on the NAS is 6.9.3 and it's the newest one.

Cheers!

Model: RN3138|ReadyNAS 3138 Series 4-Bay
Message 1 of 12
StephenB
Guru

Re: Problem with scanning to ReadyNAS 3138 with NRG MP C2800 printer

Definitely it is weird.

This happens when you display any scanned file stored on the NAS?

• Does the file look normal when you copy the file to a PC, and then display the copy?
  • What format are the files (jpg, tiff, pdf ???)
  • What file sharing protocol are you using?  (likely SMB, but want to confirm).
  • Do you have the antivirus software running on the NAS?
Message 2 of 12
BlackMagic
Aspirant

File is saved corrupted - therefore it looks like this on every machine

Files are saved as .pdf

SMB

No antivirus on the NAS

@edit

The funniest thing is - it started to look like this 2 weeks ago. It was sucessfully running for at least a year without any issues.

Message 3 of 12
StephenB
Guru

Does this corruption only happen with PDFs that are stored directly by the C2800?  Or are other PDFs stored onto the NAS affected?

Have you tried reconfiguring the printer to store PDFs to a network share on another machine? (EDIT- your first post says you have tried this).

Message 4 of 12
BlackMagic
Aspirant

It happens only when we are scanning a document using C2800 to the NAS. Other stored files are fine, same as other scanned documents from other printers. I belive there must be a problem when the printer is saving a file on the NAS. In this moment file is being corrupted. But why is it happening only from a specific printer to a NAS - no clue. I would definitely try to blame a printer but damn it works smooth when files are saved to another location.

It's very funny, weird and frustrating at one time 😄 .

Message 5 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@BlackMagic wrote:

I would definitely try to blame a printer but damn it works smooth when files are saved to another location.

It's very funny, weird and frustrating at one time 😄 .

I agree, this is something I haven't seen before. 

Did you try configuring the destination share to use "strict sync"?

Message 6 of 12
BlackMagic
Aspirant

Hi.

I didn't really try to change anything yet since NAS is really important and used by people durning their work hours. I will try to restart it today after 4pm when the office will be empty. If it does not help, I will try to do what you sudgested.

Message 7 of 12
BlackMagic
Aspirant

Strict sync did not help.

Message 8 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@BlackMagic wrote:

Strict sync did not help.

And I guess the restart didn't help either.

I don't have any other suggestions, if something comes to mind I will post back.

Message 9 of 12
BlackMagic
Aspirant

There is one thing I've found out. When I turn off the compression of PDF files at the printer there are no artifacts. But the file has over 200mbs.

The thing is - why it used to work and now stopped.

Message 10 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@BlackMagic wrote:

There is one thing I've found out. When I turn off the compression of PDF files at the printer there are no artifacts. But the file has over 200mbs. 

There could still be a small amount of corruption - the artifacts would be much harder to see when the file is uncompressed.

Do you know what version of SMB the printer uses?

Message 11 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Also is the firmware on the printer up to date?

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements