× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Problems Getting Plex Server Setup & Working!

Apota
Aspirant

Problems Getting Plex Server Setup & Working!

I'm having a number of issues. I've got it installed and running but I haven't been able to play anything on it yet. I have a ReadyNAS 102.

The first issue is that it's telling me there is an update, but I'm trying to update it automatically from the Apps menu. It starts to download the update but then it stops and gives me an error message saying it can't download the binaries now.

I've tried to download them manually from the Plex website, but it's asking me what kind of CPU my ReadyNAS has but I have no idea what the CPU is or how to install it after I download it.

The next problem is that it's saying that Remote Access isn't available unless I'm logged in, but I think I am logged in. It's showing that I am logged in at the upper right corner of the screen.

I've added a bunch of my video folders to the Plex Server but I can't access them from my Xbox One. It's telling me it can't find anything, but I can see them if I access them from my web browser, but when I try to watch them from my web browser it saying something about the server isn't powerful enough to process them.

I'm also getting, "Server unavailable. We couldn't reach "ReadyNAS". Make sure it's online and try again." error messages.

So, I'm not sure what's going on. I need lots of help. Thanks so much!
Message 1 of 13
itsjasper
Luminary

You need the ARM v6 version of Plex for a RN102. Download that, then install in the ReadyNAS Admin page under the Apps tab, using the 'Upload' button.
Message 2 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Do you have PlexPass? You need PlexPass to use Plex with the Xbox One.
Message 3 of 13
Apota
Aspirant

No, I don't have the PlexPass. What is it and how much is it? Why do I need it for it to work with the Xbox One? Will I need the PlexPass for it to work with the Google Chromecast?
Message 4 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

When Plex introduces a new feature they make it firstly available to their customers with a PlexPass subscription. See https://plex.tv/features for a summary of features that are available for all customers vs PlexPass features.

You may wish to have a look at https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/sections/200642446-FAQ-Plex-for-Xbox-One

As for Plex on the ChromeCast that is available for everyone (it was originally only available for Plex's PlexPass customers).

Note that from the 102 you can direct play video. The 102 cannot transcode (convert video on the fly).
Message 5 of 13
Apota
Aspirant

I'm only interested in playing videos from my Xbox One, Google Chromecast, Android Plex App & Apple Plex App. It sounds like I'll be able to do everything but the Xbox One unless I pay for the PlexPass Subscription?
Message 6 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

For media that can be direct played by the client device, yes. If transcoding is required you would need a more powerful server.
Message 7 of 13
Apota
Aspirant

I did what you said about doing the update but it doesn't seem to be working. It's still saying an update is available after I use the upload of the file. I don't understand why it's so hard to update and why the update button doesn't work.
Message 8 of 13
Apota
Aspirant

Is there a way I can delete the old version of Plex and try to install the new version with the Upload button? Are you sure ARM 6.X is the right version? I can't believe how difficult this is. 😞
Message 9 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes, ARM 6.x is the right version.

Have you tried clearing your web browser cache, closing your web browser, then reopening thr Plex web interface?

Which firmware version are you running?
Message 10 of 13
Apota
Aspirant

Okay, I got it updated. I did a Google Search on the problem I was having and I found other people that had the same problem and they said they unplugged the ReadyNAS and rebooted it and then tried the update and it worked. So, that's what I did and it seems to have fixed the issues I was having and it seemed to have updated now.
Message 11 of 13
Apota
Aspirant

If I try to watch the videos from my computer's web browser I keep getting the message that the server's cpu isn't powerful enough to process the video. So, how do I know which videos I can direct play by my client device?
Message 12 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The web app I think always transcodes.

You would need to test different videos in your collection on your various clients.
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements