× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Problems Setting up Ultra 2 #24375233

ICPGr8Milenko
Aspirant

Problems Setting up Ultra 2 #24375233

Hello everyone,

I've been running my Ultra 2 for about 2 years now with 2x 2TB hard drives in Raid-0. Everything's been running great. Well, with Black Friday, Amazon ran a deal on 3TB Seagate Barracude drives, so I picked up 2. After backing everything up from my original setup, I powered down placed the new drives in, started up in the boot menu to do a factory default setup, and it doesn't seem to be getting anywhere. In RAIDar while in factory default mode, I can see everything and start setup; however, after setup runs through and reboots I can't seem to access the NAS via RAIDar nor Frontview. The NAS is setup with a static IP on the network and I can ping it just fine, so I know it's connected, but I can't seem to access it no matter how I try. Additionally, I tried leaving everything for 36 hours to setup, but that didn't seem to change anything. While the NAS is booted up regularly (ie. non-boot mode), both HDD LEDs are lit but the activity LED isn't doing anything.

Also of note, I did ensure that I was running 4.2.27 prior to attempting to upgrade the HDDs.

Unfortunately, I've already deleted partitions and reformatted the 2x 2TB drives. (I know, not my brightest move.)

I tried contacting support and the person I was speaking with (went by "Lovely"?) was nice, but when she couldn't figure it out after an hour told me it didn't seem like a HW issue and that an escalation for support would run $75. I'm sure I'm not the only one in the situation where it's Christmas and I'm not exactly in the wealthy category (I'd have better than an Ultra 2 if I were - lol).

Anybody have any ideas? Any help would be very much appreciated. Technically, I'm pretty capable, so willing to try just about anything to get this resolved.
Message 1 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Problems Setting up Ultra 2 #24375233

The support warranty of 90 days expired over 2 years ago.

For non-hardware issues our support team provides a range of options including support contracts or per incident support to cover our costs. There is also the option of seeking help from e.g. the forums.
Message 2 of 6
vandermerwe
Master

I'd start by taking the new drives out and testing them with sea tools extended tests.

Since you have wiped the original disks, take one of these, put it in, and factory default the nas. If this works then it is almost certainly a problem with the new drives.
Message 3 of 6
ICPGr8Milenko
Aspirant

I've already tested the drives with the Seagate tool; however, after doing so and seeing no improvements, I did process an RMA with Amazon. So, I currently have 4x 3TB drives until I send the original 2 in, all have been tested/validated, and still nothing. I've tried variations of 1 disk/2 disks, as well as X-Raid and FlexiRaid. mdgm reached out to me via PM, so hopefully he'll be able to help.
Message 4 of 6
vandermerwe
Master

Yes hopefully he'll help you. My question was really about your old drives which were working. You have tried to factory default with one of these in?
Message 5 of 6
ICPGr8Milenko
Aspirant

mdgm is THE MAN!!! Turned out to be a corrupted file on the internal flash. I'm up and running now with the 2x 3TB. 😄
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements