× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Problems copying a 130GB file

Platypus69
Luminary

Problems copying a 130GB file

Is there any limitation to a single file size?

I have a single 130GB file that is failing to copy to my RN316 from Windows 10.

It is being copied from a NTFS partition on one USB 3.0 external drive across an ethernet connection to my RN316 running 6.10.3

Is it a file size limitation?

Or is it becuase I have Bit Rot Protection (Copy-on-write) enabled?

I have tried multiple times.

(I have not discounted the possibility that the source file / filesystem is corrupt. But I was able to successfully copy the 130GB file from one external USB 3.0 HDD to another external USB HDD. And I did a file compare between both USB HDDs without an error.)

I actually get a netwotk error at the end.

Furthermore, the first time my RN316 froze as well. I could not connect to it via the webapp. I had to physically power cycle the NAS and of course it then did a re-sync. So in my mind that discounts the source or the network, but I could be wrong.

(Also had to delete the 130GB file that was not preoperly written.)

As an aside I am curious as to why a partial write still persists if there was an error. Sometimes the file is till "visible" and needs to be deleted from Windows 10. Sometimes it disappeears. Sometimes it perssits a restart of the NAS. Behaviour is inconsistent to me. Anyway...)

Any suggestions welcome.

Model: RN31600|ReadyNAS 300 Series 6- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: Problems copying a 130GB file

I've written files of this size (and occasionally larger) to my ReadyNAS, so it's not a limitation of the NAS itself.  Of course the chances of dropping the network connection during the transfer do go up with the file size.

How are you copying the file?  File Explorer?

How full is your data volume?  Have you looked in the NAS log zip file for errors?  (look in system.log, around the time that the transfer was made).

Are you using a single network interface in the NAS, or do you use link aggregation/bonding?

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements