× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Problems with PC to NAS backup

rodcrit
Luminary

Problems with PC to NAS backup

I have had problems with pc backup and associated areas.

I have no passwords on my PC so in the source form I leave these fields blank. there has never been a problem with this on previus version to 6.9.x,  but now there is.

firstly the test source fails with invalid user and password .even so  -  the backups are successful.

except....   an option on the advanced settings of network settings on my PC got changed after an update...  and the all networks setting for requires password got set to ON.

when this happened...  all backups got stuck in the " IN PROGRESS" state and never completes...  thus hanging up all other backup in QUEUE.   again previously, this used to fail the backup for invalid password and complete.

one other ramification of backups stuck in this staste is what it is doing to the PC....  something is causing the PC to hangup every 10 or so seconds  for about 10 seconds.  the mouse and keyboard freezes and disc access is compromised.   once the stuck backup is cancelled - all returns to normal.

so  a number of things to look at there.

1.  when no password is on the PC and the backup source feild is left blank...  why does test source in the backup settings report invalid user name and password.   ( it never used to - reported success ) )

2.  should the all users network access be set to requires password   -  in the above scenario,  why does the backup hang in the " in progress" state and never complete...   it should just report invalid access or something similar and complete.

3.  what is it doing to the PC during this state which causes the PC to totally freeze up every 10 or so seconds.

Model: RN20442D|ReadyNAS204
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: Problems with PC to NAS backup

I agree this should be looked into.

I do want to add that there are security risks in allowing open access to network shares, particularly if they are hosted on a laptop that might be used on public networks.  Even on private network connections, it increases the risk of malware on another device corrupting the PC data.

Personally I'd require a network password on the PC (even if you set up the PC so that it automatically logs in).  Or you can change from using the NAS backup jobs to using a tool on the PC to backup to the NAS (which eliminates the need for a network share on the PC).  Pushing the backup from the PC also avoids the need to ensure the PC is running when the backup is scheduled.

Message 2 of 5
rodcrit
Luminary

I understand what you are saying   -  and I do have various means of protection set up on my small private network....

nevertheless   -  there is a problem with the NAS backup system that needs to be addressed do you not think?

have a number of PCs on my private network  -  the common point of backup is the NAS  -  therefore I want to control the backups from there  -  not have individual PC jobs.

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

wrote:

nevertheless   -  there is a problem with the NAS backup system that needs to be addressed do you not think? 

I agreed earlier in the thread that some investigation is needed here.   I don't know at this point if the problem is the backup system itself, or caused by the recent changes in Windows behavior as Microsoft has begun tightening up network share security.  Though it seems likely that there are some things that need to be done in the backup system - for instance, there should be some timeouts added.

Message 4 of 5
rodcrit
Luminary

The problem with the "test source" has actujally been present since the NAS update to 6.9.0.  Could live with that as backups were still working.   now that more things have become apparent I am now highlighting them.

therefore I do not think it is a win10 update that is now causing the problem.

and I definitely agree with you - there should be dome sort of time out   -  and even an error message such as "invalid user password" when that is found  -  would have saved me a days scratching of head trying to work out what was happening .   ( my fault it took so long  -  getting old and forgetful nowadays )

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements