× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Problems with network shares from Windows 10 to ReadyNasDuo V2

Hans_Blom
Aspirant

Problems with network shares from Windows 10 to ReadyNasDuo V2

Hello all.

I saw that this topic has been discussed before, but as I found no solution applicable to my situation I repost.
Also I didn't find any suitable location for my post. Maybe a location administrator can move this post if it doesn't fit

in this location.

I have recently been having a problem with my network storage.
I'm running Windows 10/2004 on a home built desktop. The motherboard
is an Asus Prime Z270-A with a Intel i7-7700K CPU and 32 GB of memory.
There are 3 disks, one SSD volume 500GB radied in the BIOS and two
Samsung 1GB. SMB 1 is enabled in OS.
In the network I have one QNAP TS-219 onto which I map three diskunits. I
also have a ReadyNASDuo RND2000 V2 with RAIDIator version 4.1.16 [1.99a043]
where store backup from my and my wife's desktops using NTI Shadow towards
two separate shares.
From time to time I had problmes with my QNAP mappings efter boot. But double
clicking them always restored them and gave me access to the files and directories.
A few times all shares both from the QNAP and the ReadNasDou have been restored after
boot but lately the shares to the ReadyNasDou just refuses. I try to double click them
all I get is the green band in Explorer that grows from left to right while trying
to connect to the share. After a while I get a dialogue message stating "T:\ is not
accessible. The specified network name is no longer available".
If I click on the Network Icon in Explorer I can see the ReadyNasDou as a unit in the network
but if I double click on it I get "The file cannot be copied due to an unexpected error.
If the error persists you can use the error code if you want to look for assistance
Error x80004002: The user interface is not supported". However via CMD window I can connect
to the ReadyNasDuo using "net use y: ......."
I can access the ReadyNasDuo via Frontview and RAIDar also finds it.
This is really annoying me mainly because it makes my backup fail.

All good advice is appreciated
Hans

Model: RND2000v2|ReadyNAS Duo v2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Problems with network shares from Windows 10 to ReadyNasDuo V2

@Hans_Blom wrote:

Connecting to Duo in explorer using \\ip-address works like a charm.

No, I'm not using /user on the net use command.

I was wondering if credentials were part of the puzzle, since Microsoft has changed their security policies for guest access.  But that clearly isn't your situation.

One change in new versions of windows is the way network discovery is done.  It used to use netbios name resolution - and the Duo does advertise the hostname that way.  But more recently, Microsoft added in WS-Discovery. 

Issues with hostname resolution are pretty common, especially between Windows and Linux systems (your NAS does run linux). Often folks can't find a good solution, so they need to use a workaround.  You can just use the IP address.  But you can also manually enter the hostname/ip address in the PC hosts file as mentioned above.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

To clarify:  If you are running 4.1.16, then you have a Duo v1.  The labeling is confusing, and many v1 owners mistakenly think they have a v2.

The original Duo (called v1 here)

• uses a sparc processor
  • runs 4.1.x firmware
  • says "Duo" on the front panel
  • often has other labels that include "v2"

The Duo v2

• uses an arm processor
  • runs 5.3.x firmware
  • says "Duo v2" on the front panel.

@Hans_Blom wrote:

The specified network name is no longer available".
If I click on the Network Icon in Explorer I can see the ReadyNasDou as a unit in the network
but if I double click on it I get "The file cannot be copied due to an unexpected error.
If the error persists you can use the error code if you want to look for assistance
Error x80004002: The user interface is not supported". However via CMD window I can connect

This sounds like you might be having an issue with hostname resolution.  I suggest reserving the IP address for the Duo in your router.  Then see if accessing by IP address is always stable (using \\nas-ip-address in file explorer's address bar).  If that works reliably, then you can either use the NAS IP address instead of the hostname, or you can put the NAS hostname into the Windows hosts file.  https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/27350/beginner-geek-how-to-edit-your-hosts-file/

I'm not sure that's the only thing going on though.  You might want to download the full log zip file from the NAS, and see if there are any errors in there.

@Hans_Blom wrote:

However via CMD window I can connect

Are you using /user: in this command?

Message 2 of 4
Hans_Blom
Aspirant

Hello,
thanks for your answer.
OK, apparently I'm running a Duo V1.

The log file is painstakingly empty. No entry since 2012.
I have however now enabled connection logging and especially via SMB. I'll see what happens.

Regards
Hans

Model: RND2000|ReadyNAS Duo Chassis only
Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@Hans_Blom wrote:

I was wondering if credentials were part of the puzzle, since Microsoft has changed their security policies for guest access.  But that clearly isn't your situation.

One change in new versions of windows is the way network discovery is done.  It used to use netbios name resolution - and the Duo does advertise the hostname that way.  But more recently, Microsoft added in WS-Discovery. 

Issues with hostname resolution are pretty common, especially between Windows and Linux systems (your NAS does run linux). Often folks can't find a good solution, so they need to use a workaround.  You can just use the IP address.  But you can also manually enter the hostname/ip address in the PC hosts file as mentioned above.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements