× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Procedure to replace one drive in ReadyNAS Duo v.1

g2009w
Aspirant

Procedure to replace one drive in ReadyNAS Duo v.1

Have ReadyNAS duo v.1 for a few years, currently running RAIDiator 4.1.14 [1.00a043], I have two 1T drives in there with X-Raid, I think disk 1is the main disk and disk 2 is the mirror, over the years, it runs well with great performance.

Around 6 months ago, starting to see smart errors on disk 1 only and now the count is up to 50, I decided to purchase a compatible 1T drive (per HW compatibility list) to replace disk 1, need help on the exact procedure to do the replacement.

Should I:

1. while the ReadyNAS is running , pull out disk 1 and replace with the new disk? Assume disk 2 will kick in as main drive and then sync up with the new drive

2. Power down ReadyNAS, remove disk 1, move the mirrored disk 2 into disk 1 location and put the new disk into disk 2 location? On power on, assume disk 1 will provide the volume/data then sync with the new disk 2

Goal is to make sure the volume mounts are kept as is and the all data is maintained.

Thanks
Message 1 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Procedure to replace one drive in ReadyNAS Duo v.1

Do you have a backup?

I would go with option 1.

Option 2 is bad. The location is not what decides which disk is the parity disk. If disk 2 is the parity disk that disk will remain the parity disk whichever slot it is in. There is never a good reason to change the order of the disks when the array is degraded.
Message 2 of 6
g2009w
Aspirant

Yes, I do have full backup of data and ReadyNAS config

When you say parity disk, do you mean the disk which is used by X-Raid to mirror? Using option 1, once the bad drive in slot 1 is pulled, is it safe to assume the remaining disk will immediately kick in as the main disk? If that is the case, then I guess after that is just a matter of resyncing the new drive. Would the old disk then remain as the main mount disk after? What if I want to keep the old disk as the parity disk, what should I do?

Sorry about all the questions, I am just not too experience with the ReadyNAS since it has been working flawlessly for a few years and I seldom have to do anything to it besides the firmware upgrade.

Thanks
Message 3 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The old disk will remain as the parity disk. You don't have a choice on this.

If replacing disk 1 while the NAS is on doesn't work, then you could put a new empty disk in slot 1 while the NAS is off then power on. Leave disk 2 in the second slot.
Message 4 of 6
g2009w
Aspirant

mdgm,

Thank you for the quick reply, I will give it a shot over the weekend.

Also, I just read through quite a few posts regarding upgrading to larger capacity disks and realize option 1 is basically the same procedure, am I correct?
Message 5 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Basically except disk 2 will remain the dedicated parity disk.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements