× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Providing remote access while allowing for real time editing of files

CHRGR739
Follower

Providing remote access while allowing for real time editing of files

I have recently set up a new NAS, but due to unforseen circumstances we had to decentralize our business. 

I have taken the NAS home and connected it to my high speed internet. 

I want to provide my employees access remotely (and securely) to upload and edit files. 

heres the catch that Readycloud seems to be lacking with, i have files that need to stay on the server and be updated in real time by the employees (access database) so that everyone has access. 

this was not a problem when everyone was on the same LAN. but now that everyone is remote its proving to be a problem, even with readycloud it seems to take some time to sync or closing and re-opening the access program every few minutes to get a fresh veiw. 

anyone have any thoughts on how to set this up? ill go VPN if i have to, but was wondering if maybe i am missing something on configuration that is preventing my files from real time updates or live syncing. 

Model: RN628X|ReadyNAS 628X - Ultimate Performance Business Data Storage - 8-Bay
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: Providing remote access while allowing for real time editing of files

How fast is your internet upload speed?  That could be the bottleneck.

However, ReadyCloud is a best effort service, and of course a lot of people are likely trying to use it now.  So it is possible that the ReadyCloud servers just can't keep up.

Message 2 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

A full up VPN may give you a better result.  But, of course, it's more work to set up.  I personally like ZeroTier, but I don't have a use case like yours,.

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

A full up VPN may give you a better result.  

I'm thinking it will also.

If your router supports OpenVPN (or if you can get one that does), then you should probably benchmark that too.

ZeroTier has a lot of nice features - it's actually more of a software defined network than a VPN.  But it still does depend on the ZeroTier cloud servers, and that might be a significant bottleneck.  Your application needs low-latency to work well (in addition to adequate bandwidth).  OpenVPN in your router eliminates the cloud, so all the flows would be routed directly to the NAS - potentially reducing the latency.

Message 4 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

Like ReadyCloud, ZeroTier only uses the web server to establish the initial connection (point the parties to each other), traffic does not go through it.  So, that should not be a factor.  If I use a ZeroTier address to make a connection to something on my local network, the speed is the same as if I'd used the local IP address.

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

If I use a ZeroTier address to make a connection to something on my local network, the speed is the same as if I'd used the local IP address.

Yes, but if both the NAS and the user are behind a NAT, then you have a very different situation.  In the general case you do need to have a relay server.

See for instance RFC8445 (which is for VOIP/Video calls, not for VPN - but the issues are the same).  You'll note that the architecture inclues a Relay Server (TURN) to cover the cases where double-NAT prevents direct communication.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements