× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: PuTTY connection

Digital999
Luminary

PuTTY connection

This definitely ranks as a ‘rookie’ question but I need some guidance.

Unfortunately I am Windows literate and almost illiterate when it comes to Lunix systems.  What I need is some help regarding what I am doing incorrectly to establish a PuTTy session. 

Several Netgear ReadyNAS systems are installed.  They work great.

SSH and SSH password authentication are enabled.

Using PuTTY I am attempting to connect to the Netgear system.

PuTTY loads in a command window. 

I am able to respond to the “login as” prompt with admin via the keyboard

Response to the "admin@999.888.0.136's password:: via the keyboard  is not possible.  No data input is accepted. 

Eventually the initial attempt times out.

I must be doing something incorrectly but I cannot determine what.

Message 1 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The SSH user is ‘root’ (no quotes)

Message 2 of 8
bedlam1
Prodigy

Also Putty does not display anything when you type your password, once you have typed it hit enter

Message 3 of 8
Digital999
Luminary

Thanks to those who took the time to reply.  The 'big' hint was that password entry is not reflected in the emulation screen as I expected. 

The last time I used PuTTy was in 2015 with a program called Midnight Commander.

At that time, with the PuTTy emulator I had available, I was able to load the emulator and log on to "admin" with the system password.

Our use of PuTTy is low -- not used since 2015 and I want to verify what my research shows...

PuTTy will no longer open with a Windows shortcut that contains the password as part of the command line.  Is that true?

"admin" account reference has been replaced with "root".  That change has occurred in the past three years?

The password we use for every system is different and is about 16+ characters -- typical upper/lower/special.  In the Windows environment we use cut/paste to enter the password if needed.  For all practical purposes it is not possible to type the password correctly since the actual input is not reflected and keyboard input is subject to the fat finger syndrome. 

Security is important but in this manner it is not paramount since the physical security essentially isolates selected Windows systems.  Any recommendations for a way to establish a PuTTy connection, including the password, would be appreciated. 

Message 4 of 8
Digital999
Luminary

Ignore my questions -- I have determined an appropriate response.

Regarding the PuTTy login from a physically secure Windows system the following command line will work...

putty.exe -ssh root@somewhere.com -pw mypasswordforsomewherecom

Obviously the executiable must be local or part of the Windows system environmental variables.  

Once again -- a big thanks for those who responded. 

Message 5 of 8
bedlam1
Prodigy

You can install Midnight Commander on the NAS 

apt-get install mc

I use it myself as I am not very linux command literate

Message 6 of 8
ctechs
Apprentice

The ssh account has been root for as long as I can recall. It's that case for the 4.2.x NASes we still own. You can paste into a PuTTY window with a right click. It does paste whatever is in the clipboard doing that, even though it doesn't reflect it in the display.

Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

wrote:

The ssh account has been root for as long as I can recall.  It's that case for the 4.2.x NASes we still own

OS 6 will accept admin as well, for most purposes you need to log in as root (and you can run into issues if you try to use admin).

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements