× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Question about document conflicts on a NAS

jason92s
Aspirant

Question about document conflicts on a NAS

In our current server 2008 environment with Office 2013, whenever a user tries to open a Word document that's open by another user, they receive a popup indicating the file is in use. Will that still happen if we switch an all NAS environment? Thank you.
Message 1 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Yes.
Message 2 of 9
jason92s
Aspirant

Thanks again Stephen. My manager said she had seen all kinds of reports that NAS and Office did not play well together. I appreciate your help.
Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

jason92s wrote:
Thanks again Stephen. My manager said she had seen all kinds of reports that NAS and Office did not play well together. I appreciate your help.
No problem.

Some people have reported problems here with permissions. That has different symptoms then the one you asked about (for instance not being able to open or delete a file that isn't in use). Even if all the users are in the same group, sometimes permissions misbehave. If you don't need separate accounts, then I suggest that you set up the NAS so that all the users share the same account - all you need to do is put the same credentials into Windows Credential Manager. Hopefully others who are deploying in a similar environment can chime in.

How many users would you have?
Message 4 of 9
jason92s
Aspirant

We have 15 users. We have a need for two user groups - legal and admin. We have a common share called data for blth groups. And we have a share called adminteam for the admin group only and legalteam for the legal group only. Could I still just have one user that has access to all shares but only map the shares they need?
Message 5 of 9
Nhellie
Virtuoso

Are you planning to integrate the readynas to your server?
Message 6 of 9
jason92s
Aspirant

My goal is to replace the server with it.
Message 7 of 9
Nhellie
Virtuoso

See these for OS6 units, it might give you an insight on what kind of permission settings you may implement.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detai ... -system%3F

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detai ... urity-mode
Message 8 of 9
jason92s
Aspirant

Good article thanks. Now I'm concerned about the possible permission issues. How prevalent is it?
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements