× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Questions about filesystem checks for NV+

maxblack
Aspirant

Questions about filesystem checks for NV+

My Backup Button job, whereby I plug-in my external USB EXT2 drive to the front of my ReadyNAS and do an rsync of files every week, failed last week. It's never failed before but after some noodling I found in Volumes under USB Storage Devices that one of the Options for the external drive was to do a Check Filesystem after which a message was posted to Status: "Errors were found, but have been corrected." Today my backup went w/o a hitch so the FS check worked.

Two questions:

1. I found nothing more about the "found errors" other than what was first reported by Frontview in the status.log. Should not rsync have generated a log of its own for the filesystem check, with more detail?

2. Is there any way, as with the USB drive to do this in Options, to manually initiate a Check Filesystem on the ReadyNAS X-RAID system? Or is initiating a FS check not recommended (or possible)?
Message 1 of 9
Nhellie
Virtuoso

There is an option to perform volume scan and check and fix qoutas on reboot. You can find it on System>shutdown. Not 100% sure if that's what you're looking for though.
Message 2 of 9
StephenB
Guru

It might be easiest if you install ssh, and run fsck manually.
Message 3 of 9
maxblack
Aspirant

Thanks StephenB I tried to figure-out how to run fsck manually awhile back and it was non-trivial at best as I recall.

I'm not sure I've ever seen any such system shutdown options on my NV+ Nhellie but I will look for them thanks.
Message 4 of 9
StephenB
Guru

On the shutdown screen there's a checkbox for "Perform volume scan on next boot. This process can take several minutes to more than an hour depending on disk capacity and volume content."

I don't know if it scans external drives.
Message 5 of 9
maxblack
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
On the shutdown screen there's a checkbox for "Perform volume scan on next boot. This process can take several minutes to more than an hour depending on disk capacity and volume content."

I don't know if it scans external drives.

Good grief, there they are (the two checkboxes). Dunno why I didn't know about those.

So a "Volume Scan" is a fsck? Why wouldn't Netgear just call it a "File System Check" then? Alright, I've looked at the User Manual (duh) and it says "If you suspect the files on your ReadyNAS system are corrupted, select the 'Perform volume scan on next boot' check box."

I just wasn't using the right search terms; instead of filesystem check I should have used "corrupt".

Good enuf, thanks fellas. :oops:
Message 6 of 9
Nhellie
Virtuoso

Yup, that's correct. Not sure about the naming though. :?
Message 7 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Probably for a similar reason to the reason why we named the data volume, volume C.
Message 8 of 9
maxblack
Aspirant

In any case, I guess since my NV+ ain't broke, I'm not going to try to fix it by invoking this right now!

😉

But I will remember for whenever I have e.g. a file copy problem like I did with my backup drive.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements