× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Questions re: backup options with ReadyNAS 104 6.2.4

skoehler122
Aspirant

Questions re: backup options with ReadyNAS 104 6.2.4

Hi -

Hopefully I can properly articulate what I'm asking.

1) Is there a way to have a single backup, that's always in perfect sync with the source? Under the backup job properties, under the Advanced settings, there's a "Remove deleted files on target", but I can't check it, and I think Netgear support told me it for whatever reason was not a usable option. So my only workaround has been enabled a full backup with a full wipe every 4 weeks, with the understanding, that all new files are added, and non that are deleted are removed, during those 4 weeks.

2) Can backups be snapshotted? If I need to recover from a backup location, can I recover something a few days back that's otherwise backed up daily?

3) Is there a way to send myself an email or SMS text if a backup fails?

4) Are there any add-on's that provide more flexibility like the above to doing backups?

Sorry for the multiple questions, any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Message 1 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

1. The Remove deleted files option is only available for Rsync

2. You could enable snapshots on the share on the backup NAS.

3. Emails are sent if you have configured an email address to send alerts to.
Message 2 of 5
StephenB
Guru

mdgm wrote:
2. You could enable snapshots on the share on the backup NAS.
I just wanted to add that I do this.

The normal concerns about fragmentation with snapshots don't apply, since the way rsync is used in the web ui backup jobs causes changed files to be re-copied completely.

Of course if there is a lot of churn, the snapshots will take a lot of space. So I did turn off snapshots on the share that holds my PC image backups (since they are large, and would quickly take a lot of space). But I've left them on for the other shares.
Message 3 of 5
skoehler122
Aspirant

I should have clarified the snapshotting. I am aware I can do snapshotting on the ReadyNAS shares. Can they be done on a USB drive I'm backing my ReadyNAS up to?
Message 4 of 5
krungkrung
Tutor

Sorry but no you cannot snapshot with USB drive
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements