× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R104 data DEGRADED

jsauser11
Aspirant

R104 data DEGRADED

Model R104 containing 3-Seagate ST4000DH000 drives, in X-Raid. Firmware 6.9.4.

Displaying message data DEGRADED.

Environment=Windows

Have full backusp of critical files on the NAS.

First Disc: sdc slot 1x1 online

Second Disc: sdb slot 2x1 online

Third Disc: sda slot 3x1 uknown

The data on the volume is intact, and can be accessed. I am guessing the third disc is keeping the snapshots.

What is the best way for me to proceed to troubleshoot this without loosing the data volume?

Thanks

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: R104 data DEGRADED

Sanapshots and RAID redundancy are two entirely different things, and RAID5 (as you get with 3 drives and XRAID) doesn't have a deicated drive fore redundancy.

But nontheless, it does appear that there is something wrong with your drive 3.  It should not be showing as "unknown".  I suggest you power down the NAS and test drive 3 in a PC using manufacturers tool (or SeaTools works pretty well on just about any drive).  You should probably check the others, too, just in case.

If a drive comes up bad, then you know it needs replacement.  But that would usually come up as "dead" in the GUI, not "unknown".  The best way to replace the drive is to boot with just the two good drives and add the new one with power applied.

If all drives check out OK, then try booting with just drives 1 & 2.  I expect that will work, since drive 3 seems to be the problem.  Once you are up and running, re-insert drive 3.  You may need to go to the Volume page and format it.  Hopefully, it will then re-sync with the volume.

If booting with just drives 1 & 2 doesn't work, then try other combinations of two.

Note that the re-sync puts a stress on the drives, and the chance of a failure of another drive during the process is higher than normal operation.  So, it's good you say you have a backup.

Message 2 of 8
jsauser11
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick reply and actions. Just a quick question before I start. Should I eject the backup drives from the system before beginning the troubleshooting, or just disable the backup tasks? I may just obtain a new disc and replace the 3rd drive before troubleshooting it. If it is hosed, then I already have the replacement. If is tests out OK, then I have a spare. Another question is what log files(s) whould I be reviewing to check on the issue? The log file for the last SMART test is old (last test 12/18/2016). Are there others that may yield a clue?

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@jsauser11 wrote:

The log file for the last SMART test is old (last test 12/18/2016). Are there others that may yield a clue?

Look in disk_info.log - it should also have SMART status.  mdstat.log can be confusing, but it's not to hard to confirm which drive is not in the array.

I suggest rebooting the NAS first and see if the status changes.

If the status is still unknown or good, then you can run the disk test built into the system (volume tab, click on the settings wheel).  This will test all the disks.  That would be an alternative to testing the drives in a PC.

@jsauser11 wrote:

I may just obtain a new disc and replace the 3rd drive before troubleshooting it. If it is hosed, then I already have the replacement. If is tests out OK, then I have a spare.

The most important thing is to make sure you have an up to date backup.

Having a drive on hand is a reasonable idea.  If you can test it in a Windows PC (Seatools for Seagate, Lifeguard for Western Digital), then I suggest doing that.

@jsauser11 wrote:

Should I eject the backup drives from the system before beginning the troubleshooting, or just disable the backup tasks? 

If you mean USB drives connected to the NAS, then yes, you should eject them.

Message 4 of 8
jsauser11
Aspirant

After a reboot, disc #3 status changed to RESYNC. Guess I will know in 48 hours if all is well, then I can run the disc test from the system interface. Keeping fingers crossed!

Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@jsauser11 wrote:

After a reboot, disc #3 status changed to RESYNC. Guess I will know in 48 hours if all is well, then I can run the disc test from the system interface. Keeping fingers crossed!

Let us know the outcome!

Message 6 of 8
jsauser11
Aspirant

Volume data resynced, and health changed from degraded to redundant. So, back to normal.

Ran the disk test, and it completed successfully.

Which log file do I look into to see if the disk test found anything wrong? And, how do I find the root cause of the 3rd disk suddenly going offline?

Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@jsauser11 wrote:

Which log file do I look into to see if the disk test found anything wrong?

I'd look in disk_info.log, since any issues found would affect the SMART stats.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements