× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAID 5 limitation #23709733

jamesjaws
Aspirant

RAID 5 limitation #23709733

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me solve a puzzle i'm stuck with.

I have RAID 5 setup using XRAID. HDDs I have installed are: 3 x 2TB, 1 x 1TB = 3TB usable storage.

Does 3TB usable storage sound correct for 7TB total capacity? I would have expected 4TB. Does it have to do with the 1TB drive?

Thanks
Message 1 of 26
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RAID 5 limitation

Is your volume redundant?

What do you see under System > Volumes in the Dashboard?

Have you tried a reboot?
Message 2 of 26
jamesjaws
Aspirant

The system isn't in degraded mode. It's status is Healthy.

In System > volumes I see:
Only 1 volume with the below specs:
Data: 670 GB
Free: 2 TB
TYPE: RAID 5
SATA 1TB x SATA 2TB x SATA 2TB x SATA 2TB (all green lights).

I tried rebooting as suggested and nothing has changed.

Originally I had 1 x 1TB and 2 x 2TB disks installed. Since adding the 3rd 2TB, after rebuild the total usable capacity didn't change. I was expecting an additional 1TB of usable space. So i'm a bit puzzled. I thought maybe it's an arithmetic thing and the 1TB is keeping the size down for redundancy purposes.
Message 3 of 26
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you post a screenshot?
Message 4 of 26
jamesjaws
Aspirant

Not sure how to post an image here so I put in dropbox and have shared the file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y8sfnt7q723wzy7/Untitled.tiff
Message 5 of 26
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you open a support case (via the email link on the Contact Us page on support.netgear.com) and attach your logs to the case or email them to me?: http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/misc/how_do_i_send_all_logs

Please let me know your case number
Message 6 of 26
jamesjaws
Aspirant

New online case (#23709733) has been created. just trying yo upload logs. thanks
Message 7 of 26
jamesjaws
Aspirant

logs uploaded.
Message 8 of 26
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thanks. May have a look at your logs later this evening.
Message 9 of 26
jamesjaws
Aspirant

thanks for your help 🙂
Message 10 of 26
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You have old WD Green disks and none of your disks are on the compatibility list: http://readynas.com/hard_disk_hcl

Your 3 WD Green disks all have very high load cycle counts and one of your disks has a non-zero current pending sector count. I would not trust these disks with anything important.

Please backup your data, power down, remove all your disks and insert disks from the compatibility list.
Message 11 of 26
jamesjaws
Aspirant

Thanks for that. The disks came out from another nas i had.

If I buy 2 new 2TB disks and only wanted those 2 disks to be in the nas, what sequence should I use to replace the current 4 disks? I assume xraid would go raid 1 which is fine as I don't need more than 2tb at the moment. Thanks
Message 12 of 26
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

1. Backup your data
2. Power down the NAS
3. Remove all disks (label order)
4. Put the new disks in and do a factory default.
Message 13 of 26
jamesjaws
Aspirant

So basically I'd have to start fresh and restore the data from a backup? There's no way to replace 2 disks one by one then remove the extra 2 disks one by one and have the nas rebuild after each disk is removed?
Message 14 of 26
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

No. It's eXpandable-RAID not shrinkable RAID.
Message 15 of 26
StephenB
Guru

You can replace disks, but you can't remove disks from an xraid2 volume. It is expandable, but not shrinkable (either in terms of volume size or the number of disks in the array).
Message 16 of 26
jamesjaws
Aspirant

Thank you. I will get some new disks tomorrow. Doing a backup now.
Message 17 of 26
jamesjaws
Aspirant

Hi again, the NAS is backing up at the moment.

The external drive i'm using already had data on it. I can't see any files that the NAS is backing up. According to the System Overview over 100GB of the total 600GB backup job has been written to the external drive. The backup status says In Progress, and each time I refresh the System Overview the external drive space used increases. However when I browse for the files it's backing up there's nothing but the data that was already on the drive. I would've thought the NAS would create a new backup folder or something?

Will the files appear after the backup is complete?

Thanks
Message 18 of 26
Captain_WD
Aspirant

Hey there jamesjaws,

I'm thinking that your 2TB dries are being limited by the 1TB one. When using RAID setups (including RAID5) you are limiting all drives' volumes to the one with the smallest - in your case the 3 x 2TB are each limited to 1TB due to the capacity of your 4th drive. If you exclude your 1TB drive from the RAID 5 setup, you should see 4TB usable space and be left with 2TB for redundancy ((n - 1) x mTB where n is your number of volumes and m is the capacity of your smallest drive).
Have in mind that there are ways to expand that via logical separation of the drive but they are highly dangerous for your information, not recommended and you would lose the redundancy that RAID 5 offers.
If you have any data on the NAS, do a backup to secure your data so you can restore it later when you are done with the drive changes.

Hope this helps,

Captain_WD.
Message 19 of 26
jamesjaws
Aspirant

Thanks captain! That makes sense. I have since purchased 2 x 3TB drives and retired my old drives. The NAS is now running RAID 1. I've learnt that it's best to keep all drives the same size, unless i want to create separate volumes...

Thanks all for your help! All seems to be working like a charm now 🙂
Message 20 of 26
Captain_WD
Aspirant

jamesjaws wrote:
Thanks captain! That makes sense. I have since purchased 2 x 3TB drives and retired my old drives. The NAS is now running RAID 1. I've learnt that it's best to keep all drives the same size, unless i want to create separate volumes...

Thanks all for your help! All seems to be working like a charm now 🙂

Hey,

You are welcome. If you have any questions about RAID setups, feel free to ask. 🙂

Cheers,

Captain_WD.
Message 21 of 26
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Using X-RAID2 mixed drive capacities should work. You do need to add the smallest disks first and add at least two higher capacity disks to expand or four if using RAID-6.
Message 22 of 26
mb2k
Aspirant

Sorry for what I'm sure is a newb question, but I just want to be clear.

I currently have 2 4TB HDDs and 2 3TB HDDs. All of the data I plan to use in currently on a WHS2011 server using FlexRaid. My plan is to migrate to the RN104 as WHS is being phased out. I just received the RN10400 and want to make sure I maximize capacity with redundancy.

Based on what I've been reading on the forums, I would need to initially set up the 104 with the 2 3TBs for 3TB of redundant capacity. I would then add the 4TBs one by one. This would then eventually give me 10 TB of total space. (1x4TB overhead, 1x4TB + 2x3TB storage capacity)

So is this correct? Also, if and when the new 6TB drives become supported, would the upgrade path be to replace the 3 TBs one at a time with a 6TB drive? I realize there's no support for drives not on the HCL, I'm just interested in the correct upgrade path.

thanks.
Message 23 of 26
StephenB
Guru

You can also do the initial installation with all four disks in place, which will also get you a ~10 TB volume with an xraid2. What you can't do is start with 2x4TB and then add 3 TB.

On upgrades, you replace one disk at a time with one that is larger.

Any advice on > 4TB drive on the RN104 would be speculative right now. With 6 TB drives you might actually want dual-redundancy - so that when you get to that point you likely should consider more alternatives - for instance a NAS upgrade, or simply add another RN104, and stick with smaller drives.
Message 24 of 26
mb2k
Aspirant

Ah, ok. Starting with all 4 drives does make sense.

I'm gonna do some speed tests in that format then try some using FlexRaid 5. Not really too concerned with any additional redundancy as I keep critical data backed up an most of my media is available in another format.

Thanks for the advice
Message 25 of 26
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements