× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAID 6 array not accessible after moving to a new home

sectoid
Aspirant

RAID 6 array not accessible after moving to a new home

Hello,

I've moved to a new home a couple of months ago and can't use my NAS since then. Between house renovation and work, I couldn't take the time to look into it, so my memory about what happened in detail is incomplete. I'll try my best to report it in a helpful manner though.

Upon trying to boot my RN104 for the first time, one or two of the hdd lights didn't lit. I incorrectly shut down the nas, removed the hdd(s), booted it up and inserted them again. However, the unit seemed to resync without problems. I didn't try to access any files. A bit later, another of the hdds was gone. This time I reinserted it with the NAS running and, again, it resynched.

Some days later, I finally tried to access data and couldn't. The web interface showed all drives red. I tried to look into it for a bit and finally gave up for lack of time and internet access (yes, almost 2 months) until today. I have the logs from the last time I turned it on if needed.

One strange thing that happened was that, WHILE TURNED OFF (but plugged in), one day I saw one of the hdd lights blink intermittently!!! However, it stoped and I didn't see it happen again.

Well, upon booting today, it showed a message about no space left on the system partition. This has happened to me before. Using ssh I found out that, this time, it was the Amazon drive app that synched files to it while the array is not accessible (I guess this is a bug). However, after cleaning up and rebooting, my array is still in the same state.

The logs from today are here. I'm seeing that the fan stopped working (this is new), that explains why the unit shut down by itself one time today. I'll look into that. Can anyone help me recover my array? The most important data is backed up at amazon drive but a lot of stuff was not.

Thanks in advance!

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 9
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RAID 6 array not accessible after moving to a new home

Hi @sectoid

Sorry to hear what happened.

Disk failures and OS volume full are causes of RAID array falling out of sync and other underlying issues, I checked the logs and the fans not running and temperatures exceeding the threshold is also not a good sign. Was the NAS on a properly ventilated location? 

You had disk 4 already missing, If you have most of your important data backed up or all of your data is backed up then a Factory reset might be recommended.

Other users might be able to provide suggestions on recovering the data through 3rd party apps like ReclaiMe etc. but contacting NETGEAR Support is also advisable so experts can assist you on escalating the case to check if the array can be fixed or the Data can be recovered. You will have to purchase Paid support and Data recovery service as well if you will opt to contact Support.

Worst scenario would be Hardware issues.

Regards

Message 2 of 9
sectoid
Aspirant

Hi @Marc_V,

Thanks for your help. The NAS is inside the same place it's ever been. It's never had heat problems before, I guess it's just the fan that may be stuck or dead. I've had other problems the past couple of days and could not look into it yet.

Not all my data is backed up and I would really like to recover it if possible, although not by a Data Recovery Service because I can't afford it at the moment. At least, the most important stuff is backed up in a worst case scenario.

I'm not sure I understood your remark about contacting support correctly. Will they refuse any help at all if I don't pay? Or will they charge only if there's no other option other than a recovery service?

Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@sectoid wrote:

Will they refuse any help at all if I don't pay? Or will they charge only if there's no other option other than a recovery service?

You will need to pay to mount the volume, but you might not need data recovery.  Note I haven't seen your logs though, and @Marc_V has.

But if the fan has failed, then you should check the warranty status.  If you are covered, you can get a replacement NAS from Netgear.  If you are the original purchaser, the warranty is 3 years.  

Message 4 of 9
sectoid
Aspirant

Thanks for replying. Unfortunately it's been 4 years already 😞 I guess some oil may revive the fan or I could replace it without much hassle.

I took a look at "ReclaiMe" and "ReclaiMe Free RAID Recovery". If I were to recover the array using the latter, free option on my PC, would I be able to plug it back into the NAS? Or would it work only on my PC?

Thanks!

Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

I haven't used ReclaiMe myself, but I don't think the free RAID recovery software will give you access to the files.  Instead it recovers array parameters "such as start offset, block size, member disks and data order, parity position and rotation".

Message 6 of 9
sectoid
Aspirant

Thanks Stephen. I think my RN104 is ok, I just need to recover the array. I'm still not sure if the free utility would make it usable by the RN104 again. I would be more confortable trying that if I could get some confirmation that this was at least possible.

If anyone knows about this, I would be very grateful.

Message 7 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@sectoid wrote:

I'm still not sure if the free utility would make it usable by the RN104 again.

If I am understanding the description correctly, it won't help.  It just gives you information on the RAID structure that could potentially be used by other tools.  It doesn't repair anything.

Message 8 of 9
sectoid
Aspirant

That's a bummer. Thank you again for clearing up Stephen. I guess I'll see what support can do for me.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements