× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAIDar 4.3.8 not working after disc upgrd-ReadyNAS4Ultra

sexauerw
Aspirant

RAIDar 4.3.8 not working after disc upgrd-ReadyNAS4Ultra

I recently replaced two Seagate 1TB drives in bays 1 and 2 of my ReadyNAS 4 Ultra with new WD RED 2TB drives, WD30EFRX units. These went in one at a time, bay 2 first. Bays 3 and 4 are the same Seagate 2TB ST33000650NS drives that have been there for a long time. The installation was time consuming but went well, I had continuous access to all of my data throughout the process except for the times when the NAS was actually rebooting.

I thought I was all done, everything running OK. Then I decided to make another backup. (Yes, I had made one first!) RAIDar could not find the NAS so I couldn't bring up Frontview to create a new backup job. I did find a way to get directly to Frontview, bypassing RAIDar, but I would really like to have RAIDar back.

Most of the time RAIDar comes up without being able to find the NAS. The Rescan button doesn't find it either. Most of the window is filled with text with instructions about how to connect to the NAS, none of which are helpful in my situation. Sometimes RAIDar does connect and the normal screen does come up, but that only lasts for 5 to 10 seconds and then it disconnects. And sometimes the disconnected screen spontaneously connects, but only for 5 to 10 seconds.

My computer is a Dell Precision M4800 running Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit. My default browser is IE 11. My security suite is Kaspersky Internet Security 2015.

Is there a newer version of RAIDar than 4.3.8?
Message 1 of 5
vandermerwe
Master

No.
It doesn't sound like the problem is related to raidar.
Have you changed your network settings on the nas or PC?
How is the nas connected to the PC?
Have you rebooted the PC?

Are there any disk errors in the smart stats?

When you connect to Frontview using your browser, is the connection stable?
Message 2 of 5
sexauerw
Aspirant

Network settings on the NAS and the PC have not been changed. The only thing that changed was the replacement of two 1TB Seagate drives in the NAS by two 2TB WD RED drives.

The PC is a laptop and connects wirelessly (802.3N) to the router. The NAS is connected to the router by a Cat 5E cable. The router is set to assign permanently reserved IP addresses to both devices so that they never change.

The PC is shut down every night and rebooted every morning. Plus it gets rebooted every time Microsoft sends a security update, which is all too often.

Discs 1-3 show no errors at all in the Smart stats. Disc 4 shows two high-fly writes but no other errors. That's in 19262 hours of operation.

Yes, the connection to Frontview is stable when I use my browser to bypass RAIDar.
Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

RAIDar discovery depends on IP broadcast packets getting through from the PC to the NAS (and vice versa).

It is possible that the Kapersky firewall is blocking the traffic. So I'd try turning off the firewall/security suite first next.
Message 4 of 5
sexauerw
Aspirant

I turned off Kaspersky firewall and turned on Windows firewall. Raidar now works. Thank you!
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements