× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAIDar 6.5.0(on Win 10) not finding NAS (NV+, ProPioneer, RN214)

Joe-9O
Aspirant

RAIDar 6.5.0(on Win 10) not finding NAS (NV+, ProPioneer, RN214)

(I spent a while looking at other postings but they either don't work for me or not quite relevant.)

I have RAIDar 6.5.0 running on 2 laptops running Win10. I also have Raidar 6.5.0 running on a MacBook laptop. The 3 NAS fileservers (NV+, ProPioneer, RN214) are found by Raidar on the MacBook Pro. I cannot access the fileshares on the MacBook but I understand that this is a known limitation for macos.

However, on my Windows 10 laptops, the 3 NAS fileservers are not dissovered by RAIDar. Even after I disable Defender firewall.  In all cases (MacBook Pro, and 2 Windows laptops)  I can map to the file shares independently of RAIDar. My router is a Netgear R8500 with each NAS unit is on a fixed IP.

Any advice would be welcome.

Thank you

Model: ReadyNAS-NV|ReadyNAS NV, RN214|4 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage, RNDP600E|ReadyNAS Pro Pioneeer Chassis only
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: RAIDar 6.5.0(on Win 10) not finding NAS (NV+, ProPioneer, RN214)

@Joe-9O wrote:

The Macbook is on Wifi and one of the two Windows 10 laptops.

The other is wired ethernet.

That rules out the router, since if it is blocking the traffic it would affect both WiFi connected devices.

Have you tried allowing RAIDar using this: https://pureinfotech.com/allow-apps-firewall-windows-10/

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@Joe-9O wrote:

I have RAIDar 6.5.0 running on 2 laptops running Win10. I also have Raidar 6.5.0 running on a MacBook laptop. The 3 NAS fileservers (NV+, ProPioneer, RN214) are found by Raidar on the MacBook Pro. I cannot access the fileshares on the MacBook but I understand that this is a known limitation for macos.

You should be able to access the fileshares on the macbook.

@Joe-9O wrote:

However, on my Windows 10 laptops, the 3 NAS fileservers are not dissovered by RAIDar. Even after I disable Defender firewall.  In all cases (MacBook Pro, and 2 Windows laptops)  I can map to the file shares independently of RAIDar. My router is a Netgear R8500 with each NAS unit is on a fixed IP.

Well you don't actually need to run RAIDar very often and you can reach the NAS web ui without it.

But the issue has to be that something is blocking broadcast traffic on the laptops.  Is Defender the only security software you are running.

Message 2 of 7
Joe-9O
Aspirant

Thank you. Defender and whatever is default on Windows 10 is all that is running.

I tried disabling Defender firewalls but it did not make a difference.

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Joe-9O wrote:

Thank you. Defender and whatever is default on Windows 10 is all that is running.

I tried disabling Defender firewalls but it did not make a difference.

RAIDar sends out broadcast packets to discover the various NAS, and the NAS respond with their own broadcast packets.  That allows RAIDar to find the NAS even if the IP configuration of the NAS is mismatched to the network.  But internet security software and sometimes routers get in the way (blocking broadcast packets for various reasons).

Is the Mac connected with ethernet or wifi?  How about the PCs?

Message 4 of 7
Joe-9O
Aspirant

Thank you. That is helpful to know.

Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Joe-9O wrote:

That rules out the router, since if it is blocking the traffic it would affect both WiFi connected devices.

Have you tried allowing RAIDar using this: https://pureinfotech.com/allow-apps-firewall-windows-10/

Message 6 of 7
Joe-9O
Aspirant

Thank you!! This solved my problem!

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements