× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAIDar can see Duo 1 but cannot access it

JohnWB
Aspirant

RAIDar can see Duo 1 but cannot access it

I have a Duo 1 with the latest firmware which has be working fine until yesterday evening when I went to look at the files using Windows 7 it said it could not connect to it. I had been working ok about an hour before. I looked on the Windows network map which showed the Duo and gave its web address as normal when I hovered over the Duo icon.

I fired up RAIDar which showed the Duo on the front screen as normal and all the LEDs were green as usual. When i clicked the browse button, after a couple of minutes it said it could not connect to the Duo. I tried the same with the Setup button and that didn't work either.

I have tried disconnecting the power lead and let it boot up and after a few minutes the power LED goes to a steady green with disk activity LED flashing away.

Does anyone have any advice as to what i should try next to allow access to the Duo please.
Message 1 of 22
vandermerwe
Master

Re: RAIDar can see Duo 1 but cannot access it

Do you definitely have a v1?
http://www.rnasguide.com/2012/01/09/how ... -or-nv-v2/

Do you have a backup?

Did you have ssh enabled?

Have you received any messages about disk errors?

Firstly I would power down, remove each disk and test it using vendor tools long/extended tests. Remember which disk goes in which slot. Once tested, put them both back in before powering on again.

If you have ssh enabled you can also ssh in and check the OS partition fullness using:

df -i
df -h

Post the results if you are not sure.
Message 2 of 22
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What do you see in the Info (far right) column in RAIDar?
Message 3 of 22
JohnWB
Aspirant

Thanks for both your replies.

It is definatly a Duo 1 as it's about 5 years old, and yes I have a backup (a couple of weeks old but thats fine)

I have received no message of any kind since this started

I belive I enabled ssh a while ago but cannot remember how to use it.

I will check the Info (far right) column in RAIDar when I get home around 4:30 today

I will also check the drives using the WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows which I assume is what you mean.
Message 4 of 22
vandermerwe
Master

Yes.
Perhaps check the info mdgm has requested first and post back.
Testing the drives -correct. This does take a long time, hence my suggestion above.

To use ssh you need to install something like putty on your PC.

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgta ... nload.html

The login would be root/password, where the password is you admin password.
Message 5 of 22
JohnWB
Aspirant

Well I checked the Info column and there was only the i symbol which I pressed but nothing happened.

I used Putty and entered the IP address 192.168.1.201 (which i have used for a while to save having to allow windows to open it without a certificate) and used the default settings but it timed out.

Should I have done anything else
Message 6 of 22
vandermerwe
Master

You just entered IP address of nas , port should be 22 and connection type ssh.
If that doesn't work either you didn't have ssh enabled or we will need to try something else.

In the far right column there is no listing of the firmware number under the i ?

You could now begin testing the disks.
Message 7 of 22
JohnWB
Aspirant

The firmware was the latest 4.1.14, I was expecting to see more than that. I am running the first 2g drive through the extended test, 31 minutes gone 3 hours 10 minutes to go. I will put the second one to run over night.

I will let you know the results tomorrow

I was not completly sure i had ssh enabled, it could have been some other device.
Message 8 of 22
JohnWB
Aspirant

Well I ran both hard drives and through the extended test and both passed ok. I will put them back in tonight & then we can try the next idea please.
Message 9 of 22
StephenB
Guru

One possibility is a full OS partition. Though if that's the case, it will require some help to fix, since you've lost access to frontview and can't get ssh to work.
Message 10 of 22
Fathead
Aspirant

I have similar problem with JohnWB that my ReadyNAS Duo 1 was working fine until a few hours ago. The NAS cannot be connected to my Win7 network suddently without any warning except that my computer screen pop up with a warning message saying that the network drives cannot be connected. Then, I had tried the following.
1. Restart the ReadyNAS Duo.The same problem remained.
2. The Duo can be seen on RAIDar. However, the Setup and Browse buttons are not avaiable. So, I cannot login to the Duo as Admin.
3. I have also restarted my network router. But the Duo was still not able to be connected.
4. I have also checked the network connection between the computers in my home networks are working fine except the Duo.

What's wrong with my Duo... 😞
Message 11 of 22
StephenB
Guru

(a) Is the IP address shown in RAIDar for the NAS compatible with your home network address range? Is there any status indication of a failure (corrupt root or anything like that?)
(b) Do you have SSH enabled?
(c) Do you have a backup?
Message 12 of 22
Fathead
Aspirant

Stephen B thanks for you support.
(a) IP address shown in RAIDar of my RN Duo is compatible with my home network. It was doing fine before the problem happened last night. The disk indicator lights are in green & no blinking. The power indicator light is on. No blinking of any indicator lights is found. I can assess the RN Duo by browsing its address and login as admin. But the connection was last for a few minutes only. Then I cannot connect to the Duo by the browser.
(b) Sorry, I have no idear about what is SSH. Can you please tell me a bit more about this.
(c) I used this RN Duo as my backup to the data of the computers in my home network. I do not have any other backup to my RN Duo.

What can I do next ...
Message 13 of 22
StephenB
Guru

Try booting up again, and logging in as admin. Then immediately delete all the logs - first from the status->logs page, and then the backup logs.

It sounds like a filling OS partition.
Message 14 of 22
Fathead
Aspirant

I've tried to re-boot my RN Duo. However, the power indicator light has been blinking for more than 30 hrs since the re-boot. My RN Duo has 2x2T HD. It has about 700G data. Does the RN Duo require such a long time to re-boot? It happened once when the 2x2T HDs were firstly installed.
Should I have to shut it down again?
Message 15 of 22
StephenB
Guru

It should boot up much more quickly. Perhaps look at RAIDar status again?

At this point I'd probably do a factory reset, which will rebuild the NAS from scratch (and delete all your data in the process). If you want to extract your data first, you can hook up disk 1 to a windows PC (USB adapter will work) and use a freeware tool called linux reader (http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/). You will of course need 700GB of space to store it on.
Message 16 of 22
Fathead
Aspirant

Thanks StephenB.
I used the linux reader to backup the data of disk 1. It took me about a week to complete because there were some files that cannot be recovered by linux reader. The backup process was being halt when there was a file not being able to be recovered. Popup box appeared and waited for my response everytime. Finally, I can recover about 450G data, slightly less than original total data size.
After that, I tried the OS reinstallation to my RN Duo. It worked fine. The file structure was reconstructed. Some of the files that cannot be recovered by linux reader become available. However, the data in the harddisk is found more than before I had the problem in the RN Duo. I had about 630G before the problem but I have nearly double the data, 1.1T, after the OS installation. Appreciated if you can advise how can I found the difference in the data and remove these files.
I'm using X-Raid in my RN Duo. Thanks again in advance.
Message 17 of 22
StephenB
Guru

First check the SMART stats on the drives. Frontview will show them (status->health, there's a "Smart+" button each each drive). Look for pending or reallocated sectors.

You can access the full volume if you access the duo using the NAS admin credentials. One way is to select "Map network drive" in the Windows computer pane, and specify \\nasipaddress\C. Check the box to use different credentials, specifying the admin for the username and the NAS admin password.

You can then browse through the entire volume, looking for the extra files. Start with lost+found.
Message 18 of 22
Fathead
Aspirant

Thanks again StephenB.

I've checked the reallocatred sectors of both drives. They are all zero.
I've tried to map network drive by specifying \\nasipaddtess\C and checked the box to use different credentials & the admin username and NAS admin password. But not succeed. The popup for username and password keeps on appearing. I've used the correct admin username and NAS admin password. What's wrong with this ?

Can you tell me why we have to map \\nasipaddress\C as I cannot find "C" when I browse the network drive in the Map network drive window.

I find that there is an updated firmware RAIDiator 4.1.14 available. Should I have to update the firmware of my RN Duo. The firmware of my RN Duo is RAIDiator 4.1.13
Message 19 of 22
StephenB
Guru

You can access \\nasipaddress\c or \\nasname\c from windows explorer directly, you don't need to map the drive letter. The reason I suggested mapping the drive letter is that approach always lets you choose the username and password before you connect.

You will only be able to see the C volume if you access the NAS with the NAS admin credentials.

Updating the firmware probably won't fix the issue at hand, but it is a good idea, since 4.1.14 has some important security fixes.

perhaps try the access again, via the command line. Go to the windows search bar, and type cmd. That will open a text command box.

Enter
net use * /delete
net use T: \\nasipaddress\c /user:admin password

The first command disconnects all existing SMB sessions (it does not actually delete anything).

The second attempts to mount the C volume of the NAS to the T drive letter of the PC.
Message 20 of 22
Fathead
Aspirant

Thanks again StephenB.
I can connect the \\nasipaddress\c to my computer by using cmd. I found nothing in the los+found folder. Anyway, I've backup all the data from the RN harddisk. Thanks again for your kind support.

I've also tried to update the firmware of RN to 4.1.14 two times this week. But not success. I had got the following error messages from the error log.

"Invalid checksum detected in the update file. Update aborted." & "Problem encountered while updating your ReadyNAS device."

Does it mean the harddisks in my RN Duo is still having problem ?
Message 21 of 22
StephenB
Guru

Possibly. What do the SMART stats look like?

Were you trying a manual update? If so, did you remember to unzip it?
Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements