× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAIDiator 4.1.14 user account issues

sfinn
Guide

RAIDiator 4.1.14 user account issues

I've an old - but very reliable - NV+ running RAIDiator 4.1.14 [1.00a043] running in User security mode. There are curently four user accounts, each with quotas set. I'm using Raidar to delete one user account and create another and am seeing the following odd behavior:

• When I delete the user account I get a "successful" message and the account no longer appears on the account list; however, the space occupied by the account is not reclaimed by the system. 
  • If I create a new account (with the previous account deleted) I find that I am not able to access the new account (via AFP, which is the only protocol I have enabled). This is true even if I specify a UID different from the UID of the deleted account. 
  • Other (previously created) accounts are all reachable. 
  • If I create a new account using the same name and UID as the deleted account, the original deleted account's files all appear as they were prior to being deleted.
  • If I create a new account while the formerly deleted but now resurrected account is left as is I get a "successful" message; however, when I am unable to connect to the new account. 
  • This behavior all persists if I reboot the system. 

Can anyone shed any light on this behavior? Thanks much for your help.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
sfinn
Guide

Re: RAIDiator 4.1.14 user account issues

Dear All, 

Thanks much for your suggestions. 

My problem turned-out to be two (apparently) separate problems. 

First was the problem of unreclaimed storage. To resolve this problem I had to (re)create the old user accounts, using the add user tab and the same user names and passwords. With this done I was able to access the old accounts and remove the non-default files manually. I then deleted these accounts. 

The second problem involved the "Private home shares for users" selection in the Security>Add User>Preferences panel. At some point this was set to disabled. Once I re-enabled it life was, once again, good. 

Again, thanks much for your suggestions. Best,

Sam

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi sfinn,

Aside from making sure the newly created user has R/W access, you may want to reapply the advanced permission setting for the said share (here). Lastly, you can also unmount the share/s that you are trying to access via AFP using the same said user.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community

Message 2 of 5
StephenB
Guru

I'm thinking that what you need to do is reset your current permissions/owners on your current shares (because they contain files owned by a user who no longer exists).

You do that by selecting a share from the share listing (by clicking the "cifs" icon), then selecting the advanced options tab on the top right.

You check the "set ownership..." box (and also set the owner/group/everyone rights above). Then press apply. This is a command, not a state, so the checkbox will immediately clear. It will reset the permissions on every file and folder in the share in the background, and a pop up will appear when it is done.

Message 3 of 5
sfinn
Guide

Dear All, 

Thanks much for your suggestions. 

My problem turned-out to be two (apparently) separate problems. 

First was the problem of unreclaimed storage. To resolve this problem I had to (re)create the old user accounts, using the add user tab and the same user names and passwords. With this done I was able to access the old accounts and remove the non-default files manually. I then deleted these accounts. 

The second problem involved the "Private home shares for users" selection in the Security>Add User>Preferences panel. At some point this was set to disabled. Once I re-enabled it life was, once again, good. 

Again, thanks much for your suggestions. Best,

Sam

Message 4 of 5
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi sfinn,

Thank you for providing an update to the issue that you raised. We are happy that your problem has been fixed and glad that you shared the solution. We hope that you will continue to share and contribute to the NETGEAR Community.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements