× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAIDiator 4.1.8 ReadyNAS NV+ with Lion - CNID DB error

mattsmith
Follower

RAIDiator 4.1.8 ReadyNAS NV+ with Lion - CNID DB error

Eagarly awaited the upgrade and installed earlier. Performance is very very slow and connection feels like it's struggling (had zero issues before Lion!)

After a minute or so getting this error displayed:

Message from server "name"
Something wrong with the volume's CNID DB, using temporary DB instead. Check server messages for details. Switching to read-only mode.

So I've rebooted (Mac and the NV+) but still comes up. Help please.

Thanks guys,
Mat
Message 1 of 18
dumas1
Aspirant

I'm seeing this too. No messages actually in the log. And it doesn't say which volume has the problem.
Message 2 of 18
boots1
Aspirant

I had this problem with my Pro6. Netgear support SSH'd into the NAS and eventually decided that the CNID db needed to be re-built. This fixed the issue for me. I don't know how to trigger a re-build...

James
Message 3 of 18
thomaswu
Aspirant

I am having the same problem after upgrading to 4.1.8 on a ReadyNAS NV+, except that my Mac is still on Snow Leopard, not on Lion.
Message 4 of 18
treaves
Aspirant

IS there no one from NetGear that will comment on this? This is a series issue, and is impacting me greatly!
Message 5 of 18
thomaswu
Aspirant

I have been waiting for 2 days to be able to write to my ReadyNAS, so I decided to revert to RAIDiator 4.1.7.

However, that does not help---I am still getting the same CNID DB error after the downgrade.

So it appears that the upgrade to 4.1.8 has affected my CNID DB in a way that has rendered my ReadyNAS unusable until I get some external help (which I am still hoping for).
Message 6 of 18
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well update to 4.1.8 again.

Have you opened a tech support case?
Message 7 of 18
thomaswu
Aspirant

I did submit a tech support case 2 days ago. It has reached only the 2nd level person so far.

Anyway, downgrading to 4.1.7 and then upgrading back to 4.1.8, appears to have fixed the problem. My shares now mount again normally as read/write.
Message 8 of 18
hellbent1
Aspirant

i had this message pop up twice for me tonight. it seems to precede my time machine kicking in. and this is on a FRESH 4.1.8 install on my DUO (i actually moved all my data off and did a factory reset). the message comes up and about 2 or 3 minutes later disappears on me. i just noticed on the second pop up the time machine running shortly afterwards.

edit: i just forced a time machine update and maybe a minute after it had started the error popped up again. i'd attach and image of the error message but have no where to host it at the moment.
Message 9 of 18
dgulbran
Aspirant

I am getting the same error... I was going to downgrade to 4.1.7, but if that's not working, I'd rather not go through it. *Super* annoying, since I upgraded under the assumption it wouldn't have issues with Lion! (Because the README said it was for greater Lion compatibility!!)

How do we trigger a rebuild of the CNID db??

I would really like to hear from Netgear on this one... it seems others are having the problem, too.
Message 10 of 18
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Those of you that haven't yet, please contact NetGear technical support and open a tech support case. It would be a good idea if you could post your case numbers too.
Message 11 of 18
hellbent1
Aspirant

I have logged a ticket with netgear support. the case number is 16698310
Message 12 of 18
thomaswu
Aspirant

Have you all tried downgrading to 4.1.7 and upgrading to 4.1.8, which worked for me? It's pretty simple to try, and I did not do a factory default at any point.

My case number was 16665917, and I submitted my system logs, but I terminated the case because the downgrade/upgrade solution worked.
Message 13 of 18
hellbent1
Aspirant

my original setup was starting from 4.1.7 and going to 4.1.8 but i was having other problems with that so i went with a factory fresh 4.1.8 install. did you start at 4.1.7, upgrade to 4.1.8, downgrade to 7 and then up to 8 again? that sounds like a lot of stuff one should NOT have to do...

new info. i was doing more testing, etc and found that i'm only getting the error when i've got a mapped CIFS/SMB connection and while uploading (maybe downloading too? not sure) to that my time machine kicks off. i can even force it. start a file transfer to the CIFS share and while that is running force a time machine update. sure enough a few seconds later i get the CIND DB error message. both the CIFS and the time machine continue to work fine at the moment but who knows for how long or if something else is going on i don't know about.
Message 14 of 18
thomaswu
Aspirant

Yes, I started from 4.1.7, upgraded to 4.1.8, got the CNID DB errors, downgraded to 4.1.7, still got the CNID DB errors, and then upgraded again to 4.1.8, which solved the problem for me.

It makes sense that you are getting the CNID DB error when Time Machine starts, since Time Machine relies on the AFP connection, and that is the one that requires the CNID DB. I was also getting the CNID DB error whenever I tried to mount a share using AFP. The CIFS/SMB connection is irrelevant.
Message 15 of 18
sydneydownunder
Aspirant

Hi,

I can confirm upgrading to RAIDiator 4.1.8 with no problem if you umount, eject, remove all the shared volumes that are automounted on Windows, Mac, Linux... clients.

Do not upgrading RAIDiator 4.1.8 while having active connections from clients.
Message 16 of 18
boots1
Aspirant

The upgrade process reboots the device - so no clients are connected when the upgrade actually takes place. Not sure if there's any validity to this but. The only sure thing is that something is foo-baring the CNIDDB upgrade process! Maybe don't attempt a connection once the NAS has rebooted for a night... ?

James
Message 17 of 18
hellbent1
Aspirant

was on the phone with support today. they eventually had to escalate the ticket to a higher tier that required me to enable ssh access thru my firewall to the NAS for 'someone' to connect to so they can fix it, i assume. how long do i wait with my DUO open to world?!? i found it very odd that the first tech i worked with had gotomypc (essentially) but the next tier up doesn't (so they say) so they have to connect directly to the device rather than working with me thru my workstation. kind of unsettling... more so, i want to know what they're doing to fix the issue.
Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements