× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAIDiator Version 4.1.14 (Sparc) Checksum Error

Lion78rus
Aspirant

Re: RAIDiator Version 4.1.14 (Sparc) Checksum Error

vandermerwe wrote:
If a full OS partition is the problem you can't fix it yourself unless you are prepared to factory default the unit. This would wipe the disks so you would need to retort your data from a backup. Do you have a backup?
If you have ssh enabled you may be able to diagnose the problem, but you won't be able to fix it yourself.

I have no backup because it is not possible for me to backup more then 1,5Tb. Some years ago I had problems with size of log file, that time Neatger support fixed this problem via internet. This time my device has no warranty, I asked support and they refused me with help and they send me to forum. So I ask help on this forum.
Message 26 of 41
vandermerwe
Master

Did you have ssh enabled?
Had you been clearing out your system and backup job logs regularly?
Message 27 of 41
Lion78rus
Aspirant

vandermerwe wrote:
Did you have ssh enabled?
Had you been clearing out your system and backup job logs regularly?

What do you mean: "Did you have ssh enabled?"? May be you mean booting NAS in Tech Support mode? If yes, I can boot my NAS in this mode.

What do you mean: "Had you been clearing out your system..." How I can clear my system? My device is work 24/7 and I have no time to manage and clear my device whery often. You see I have missed 3 versions of RAIDator).

How I can backup my logs? After I tryed today to download another log (I`m write by my memory with translating) my device trying to boot and for long time blink with power led and nothing else happens. I can ping my device also my router detect connected device and send to device IP address via DCHP, but RAIDar can not find my device.

Thank you for answers.
Message 28 of 41
vandermerwe
Master

The system and backup job logs can contribute to filling of the OS partition. Apps logs can also do this (DLNA also)
Downloading them makes the problem worse if the partition is full. Did your current problem start when you downloaded the logs?
I had assumed that as you had had this problem before that you were watching out for it. Deleting logs regularly may help.

Ssh access is not the same as tech support mode.
To enable it you would have needed to have installed an addon. It doesn't sound like you did. Ssh access is one way to check the OS partition fullness.
Did you manage to download the log?
If so you could look in the logs to see info about the OS partition.
Look in the disk usage log
Message 29 of 41
Lion78rus
Aspirant

vandermerwe wrote:
The system and backup job logs can contribute to filling of the OS partition. Apps logs can also do this (DLNA also)
Downloading them makes the problem worse if the partition is full. Did your current problem start when you downloaded the logs?
I had assumed that as you had had this problem before that you were watching out for it. Deleting logs regularly may help.

Ssh access is not the same as tech support mode.
To enable it you would have needed to have installed an addon. It doesn't sound like you did. Ssh access is one way to check the OS partition fullness.
Did you manage to download the log?
If so you could look in the logs to see info about the OS partition.
Look in the disk usage log

Yes, I think that problem same years ago was the same. Tech support didn`t say what the problem was with my NAS and didn`t told me that I must regullary clear and download something. Now I understand my mistakes.
My last action with NAs was downloading log... Before: 1. I tryed to update my RAIDiator for 4.1.10 to 4.1.14 - I have uploaded localy 4.1.14 in FrontView. Update proccess started, then device made reboot and I got message that new RAIDiator is successfully updated, I so got message in the log about it, but in frontview and in RAIDar version was still 4.1.10. I tryed to update one more time and I got error with checksum, from this time when I tryed to update same version of RAIDiator (4.1.10, 4.1.12) I got checksum error.
Now I don`t have access to my device to frontView so I cann`t install this addon now... If I make my device alive I will install this addon...
Thank you for answers, one more time...
Message 30 of 41
vandermerwe
Master

Ok.
You say you can get to tech support mode. That is good.
There may be someone who can help you later.
Message 31 of 41
beichst
Aspirant

Hello. I have a ReadyNAS NV+ and was trying to install the RAIDiator 4.1.14 update based on the email I received indicating my system needed to be updated.

I tried to use the remote update option--which is how I normally have done updates in the past--However, I received an error that the update cannot access the remote server. I then tried downloading the image and installing locally.

After downloading the file, I tried to complete the upgrade but received the checksum error. Similar to the posting below from MAF1 from last October 19, I then started receiving an error trying to access the NAS shares via windows even though Frontview access remained. I changed and reset the IP address, used Net clear to remove the links and then disabled and re-enabled the CIF access as I figured they might have gotten corrupted somehow. That seemed to correct the access issues as I can now see the shares again via windows. However, I am still getting the checksum error and am still unable to connect to the remote server. The latter issue is odd as the alerts and other network traffic to/from the device seem sound. Too, all configuration items match exactly to what my other ReadyNAS devices have which I recently updated remotely with no problems.

From the notes below I gather one possible issue is that the OS partition may be full. I have cleared the logs but to no avail. Per the comments below, there is apparently no way to clean out other space without doing a system reset. While I have backups on other NAS drives and could complete a rebuild, I am a bit reluctant to do that if there is another option.

While I don't see the update as critical, I would like to try to load it if possible. Hence, any assistance troubleshooting would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Unread postby maf1 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:32 pm

I tried loading the v4.1.14 update and got the same result. Then downloaded the update again and got the same result again, invalid checksum. I now have the problem where I my shares on the NAS are no longer working. Selecting a share from Windows Explorer I get the error message:"The specified network name is no longer available". I am able to ping the NAS drive using both the device name and the IP address, but I can't connect. I am able to access the Admin page, although I'm concerned as the status logs only shows the entries from when I tried to update the new firmware.
Message 32 of 41
StephenB
Guru

do you have ssh enabled?
Message 33 of 41
beichst
Aspirant

Yes. I have Cygwin installed.
Message 34 of 41
StephenB
Guru

beichst wrote:
Yes. I have Cygwin installed.
I think you misunderstood.

I was asking if you have ssh enabled on the ReadyNAS.
Message 35 of 41
beichst
Aspirant

Sorry. My misunderstanding 🙂 No, I don't have SSH enabled on my ReadyNAS. I have never had a need to use root access or anything other than Frontview to complete what I have needed to do.
Message 36 of 41
StephenB
Guru

One option is to contact Netgear support. They will charge, but should be able to clean out the OS partition remotely.

You could try installing the enablerootssh addon, and see if that takes. If so, you can then use putty (or terminal on the mac) to connect to the NAS. If it is a full OS partition, it can easily be fixed at that point.
Message 37 of 41
beichst
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
One option is to contact Netgear support. They will charge, but should be able to clean out the OS partition remotely.

You could try installing the enablerootssh addon, and see if that takes. If so, you can then use putty (or terminal on the mac) to connect to the NAS. If it is a full OS partition, it can easily be fixed at that point.

I am a bit concerned about installing the add-on as I understand ReadyNas may withdraw support. Is that correct? However, I have rooted other devices before so am familiar with the general process. If I do proceed with that process, you have indicated I should be able to clear the full partition. How would I know what to look for in cleaning it?

Too, I am assuming once I install it, it is not simply going to be in the installed add-ons tab. How would I remove it?

Thanks.
Message 38 of 41
StephenB
Guru

Technically they can, (and they likely would if you deleted stuff in the OS partition that you shouldn't). They've said here that they won't deny support unless there is evidence that you did damage with ssh. If you purchased on your join date, your NAS is out of warranty, so support might not be an issue anyway.

Uninstall information is in this old thread: https://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopi ... 36&t=57594

Once installed (assuming success, which is not guaranteed in your case) you can look for large log files, and delete them. If you have ReadyDLNA installed on the NAS, you can disable that, and also check with ssh that the database has been deleted. Note there is is a separate add-on that will move the ReadyDLNA database to the C drive in order to prevent it from taking up precious OS partition.

If you aren't sure that something is safe to delete, just post back here.
Message 39 of 41
beichst
Aspirant

Thanks StephenB.

Yes, it would have been my join date. Hence, you are probably right about the support being gone anyhow 😄 So you are indicating pretty much any large file in the log area can be deleted? interesting. I would assume anything that is prior to this year would also be considered removeable? I will have to keep that in mind.

Too, thank you for the uninstall information. However, as some good news (to me at least 😄 ) I will not be needing it at this point. After getting the error again, I tried doing a shutdown/reboot with a full disk quote and share check. It didn't find any errors. However, I then also changed the IP again and cleared all network cache on both my server and my router, did a reboot and restart. Finally, I disabled all services on the system and rebooted the system one more time. I then tried the online update and voila, was able to get that to work. The system is now showing in RAIDArray as updated to Radiator 4.1.14 with the new IP address. I am also still able to see all data shared. I am currently in process of re-enabling all my services (e.g. DLNA). Once that is done, I should be pretty much back to status quo but on current Radiator.

From your notes below about disabling DLNA, I am guessing that it was the DLNA service that might have been the issue in taking up space. You have indicated there is an add-on which can move the DLNA DB to the C drive. Would that be: ReadyDLNA_1.1.1.2.bin? If so, I might try implementing that as well so that the next time I need to complete a firmware upgrade I won't have this problem.

Thanks again for all the advice/help. I really appreciate the time.
Message 40 of 41
StephenB
Guru

beichst wrote:
From your notes below about disabling DLNA, I am guessing that it was the DLNA service that might have been the issue in taking up space. You have indicated there is an add-on which can move the DLNA DB to the C drive. Would that be: ReadyDLNA_1.1.1.2.bin?
No, its the cachedir add on here: https://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopi ... 15#p392371

ReadyDLNA logs can also get quite large.
Message 41 of 41
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 40 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements