× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RALUS Agent problems

netracer
Apprentice

RALUS Agent problems

As I've been beating my head through this forum for hours looking for a solution, I concede its time to ask for help.
I am trying to use my readynas 4200 as a backup target for my Backup Exec Server.

Key info..

RAIDiator 4.2.21 (was installed today, BEFORE I started messing with the ralus agent)
- NAS box is NOT part of an AD environment, workgroup only
Windows 2008 R2 - Backup Exec 2010 R3 SP2, Hotfixes 180429 & 176937 installed
- part of an AD environment

I cannot get BackupExec_13.0.5204.1-x86.bin to work. Gives me the following in my logs
Fri Sep 14 01:34:20 EDT 2012 The BackupExec add-on encountered an error during installation.
Fri Sep 14 01:34:20 EDT 2012 Backup Exec Remote Agent has been successfully installed.

I rebooted the NAS after installation, went to the add-ons panel, entered BE server IP, had the pretty green traffic light. But - there were no entries under the Linux/Unix servers section. Rebooted each machine as well to be sure. nada.
After uninstalling and re-installing a few times I gave up.

I decided to try BackupExec_12.5.3-x86.bin.
That seems to work. I see the NAS box under Linux Unix servers now.

One problem though, it seems to only work with the user ID ADMIN. No other ID will work.
This is also the case when i try to use a user-defined section in BE to go after a nas share.
Couldn't find any documentation on user ID usage.

Any help appreciated.
Message 1 of 7
chirpa
Luminary

It will only use auth as admin.
Message 2 of 7

Hi,

I had the same problem as you. I installed backup exec add on 12.5.3 and it works. But sometimes the agent stop.I need to re start.
I think there is a problem with the new version and 2008 R2 ..
I ve never had problem with my old 2003Server.
I use admin auth too.
Message 3 of 7
netracer
Apprentice

Thanks for the advice on admin.

Still seeking help on getting 13.0 version working.

The 12.5 version hasn't been able to complete a job yet. Starts, does a bit and then dies - and slow as molasses 200mb/min. My LTO's crank 3,800mb/min
Message 4 of 7

Yes for me too ,It is more and more difficult to finish a job.
It can be running for 4 or 5 hours or for 15min and then stop.

Still looking for a solution.

Thanks.
Message 5 of 7
netracer
Apprentice

Yea, still dying for me.

Is there a solution to get 13.0 working with the 4200? Is there another version I should be using? I've got this great nas box and can't back anything up to it successfully.
Message 6 of 7

Maybe i find a temporary solution. I use v12.5.3 and it works by editing the ralus.cfg file on the nas system. ( you must install the ssh addon)
My jobs complete successfully for the moment since I change it :

Try these steps -

- Stop the RALUS service by running the command "etc/init.d/VRTSralus.init stop”
- Run the command "vi /etc/VRTSralus/ralus.cfg”

Find the line which says “Software\Symantec\Backup Exec for Windows\Backup Exec\Agents\Agent Directory List”. Check if there are two entries of these .If not add the following entries using the VI editor. ( before editing you can do a backup of the ralus.cfg config file : " cp ralus.cfg ralus.cfg.ori " )

Software\Symantec\Backup Exec for Windows\Backup Exec\Agents\Agent Directory List 1=<media server IP>
Software\Symantec\Backup Exec for Windows\Backup Exec\Agents\Agent Directory List 2=<media server NAME>

After adding the above entries, start the RALUS service run “etc/init.d/VRTSralus.init start”
And Please re-check.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements