× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RD5200 - OS Full (Device is Offline)

DWCD
Aspirant

RD5200 - OS Full (Device is Offline)

Hello!
I have a ReadyData 5200 here and it appears that the OS has filled its volume up with logs and now I cannot access the web interface, nor will the 'OS Reinstall' Option work. When booting, it will just loop through a message for startd and it says that it cannot write logs because of insufficient space.
I spoke with support and the first gentleman I worked with was very helpful and pointed me in the right direction (to reinstall the OS), however after letting it sit all night, it was stuck on "Updating sysroot on /.system from 1.3.1...".
When I found it the next day, I called in again and got a different support technician who essentially refused to assist me. I've attempted to connect via SSH unsuccessfully but I was able to get into the troubleshoot/technician mode. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find the file or log that was filling the drive up.

Is there anyone who can help me out with this issue?

Thank you!

Model: RD5200|ReadyDATA 5200 Enterprise Storage
Message 1 of 6
DEADDEADBEEF
Apprentice

Re: RD5200 - OS Full (Device is Offline)

In ssh run:

du -hxd1 /

This will give you a list of directories and how much space they use up.. If for instance /var/ shows the highest usage you can then re-run the command with /var/ as argument instead

du -hxd1 /var/

and basically follow the way down until you find the dir eating up space.

Message 2 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@DWCD wrote:

When I found it the next day, I called in again and got a different support technician who essentially refused to assist me. 

Reinstalling the OS was the wrong advice.  And the response to the second call is troubling.

Perhaps PM @JohnCM_S with your case number, so he can follow up (and perhaps escalate).

Message 3 of 6
mdgm
Virtuoso

@DWCD wrote:

I've attempted to connect via SSH unsuccessfully but I was able to get into the troubleshoot/technician mode. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find the file or log that was filling the drive up.

That's because it's a low-level diagnostic mode designed to be usable where possible when things are badly messed up (e.g. multiple failing disks and problems importing the zpool). You have to enter some commands to manually import the rpool before you can see what's filling that up.

Message 4 of 6
DEADDEADBEEF
Apprentice

don't see a way to edit my post.. but, I missed that this was a ReadyDATA - so the steps in my post earlier do not apply here

Message 5 of 6
DWCD
Aspirant

Hey guys,
Thank you for replying to my post. 

So I'd like to try to poke around some more but SSH isn't enabled. Is there any way I can enable it from the device itself? 

Thanks!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements