× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN 102 Drive upgrade

Leeroy230
Tutor

RN 102 Drive upgrade

I'm in the process of upgrading from 1tb to 3tb drives. This issue I have is if I remove drive 1 the system doesn't work. 

I replaced drive 2 and it did sync but if I remove drive 1 nothing happens and I can't login to the admin page.

I even tried moved the newly synced drive 2 into drive bay 1 and that doesn't work.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN 102 Drive upgrade

@Leeroy230 wrote:

I'm in the process of upgrading from 1tb to 3tb drives. This issue I have is if I remove drive 1 the system doesn't work. 

I replaced drive 2 and it did sync but if I remove drive 1 nothing happens and I can't login to the admin page.

I even tried moved the newly synced drive 2 into drive bay 1 and that doesn't work.

Thanks.

What drives are you using?  Many smaller drives (2-6 TB) use a technology called SMR which isn't well-suited for NAS.  Most desktop drives in this size range are using SMR, as are WD Reds (WD30EFAX).  WD Red Plus drives (WD30EFZX or the older WD30EFRX) are better choices for your NAS, as is the Seagate Ironwolf (ST3000VN007).  Personally I'd also check out larger drives - in the US, 6 TB Ironwolfs currently cost about the same as the 3 TB models.

You might try testing the new drives - you can do that by connecting them to a Windows PC (either with SATA or a USB adapter/dock) and using vendor tools.  Seatools for Seagate, and WD's Dashboard software for Western Digital.

You might also try putting in the first 1 TB drive you removed, and confirm that it boots in both slots.  Power down the NAS, and remove both drives that are in the system now (labeling them by slot if they are the same model).  Then put the old disk into slot 1 by itself, and see if the system boots (the volume will be degraded, since there is only one disk).  Power down, and move the disk to slot 2, and see if it boots in that slot also.

Message 2 of 5
Leeroy230
Tutor

The new drives are 3tb Hitachi and on the list of compatible drives. The new drive synced fine so I wouldn't think it's a drive problem. When I move the original 1tb drive to slot 2 with no other drive I can't login. It keeps popping up the admin login in and then says wrong password and locks me out. Swap the drive back to 1 and reboot and it's fine again
Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@Leeroy230 wrote:
The new drives are 3tb Hitachi and on the list of compatible drives. 

FWIW, the HCL is quite neglected, and no longer very useful. Many of the models are outdated, and new ones aren't being added. Generally I just recommend getting NAS-purposed CMR drives or enterprise class.

@Leeroy230 wrote:
 When I move the original 1tb drive to slot 2 with no other drive I can't login. It keeps popping up the admin login in and then says wrong password and locks me out. Swap the drive back to 1 and reboot and it's fine again

Are you doing this with the NAS powered down?

Can you access shares with file explorer (or finder) when you boot up in slot 2?

What firmware are you running?

Message 4 of 5
Leeroy230
Tutor

Well, now I can't access the NAS at ALL! I put the original drives back in and when I go to the IP it just says can't reach the page. 

So I'm less worried about any upgrade at this point I just need to get it working so I can get my data back.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements