× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN 104 adding a new used disk

Rafavega
Aspirant

RN 104 adding a new used disk

Hi, i have a RN 104 with two 3 TB WD red drives working on XRAID.

Want to add a 2 TB Hitachi HDS722020ALA330 disk i was using in a usb case, formating in NFTS, and with a TB of data in it, alredy backed up.

I just get the disk out the usb case and hot plug into the RN, the disk is first detected, but after a seconsd of been online the disk turn off and nothing seems to happend, even if i click the format botton. The new disk appears on the volume picture but in gray. I give the disk one night, just in case of some background formatting, but in the morning everything was the same.

What shoud i do?, maybe Shoud i delete the data and partition of the disk and then plug the disk into the nas?

P.S. the disk in not in the compatibility list but the same disk is used by other users of the forum without troubles, and after all the disk is correctly detected.

Thanks
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN 104 adding a new used disk

deleting the partition from the drive sounds like a reasonable next step.
Message 2 of 5
Steerpike
Aspirant

So it is perfectly legitimate to add a 2 TB drive to an existing 2x 3TB setup?
Message 3 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Using X-RAID no. X-RAID can only add disks of equal or larger capacity compared with the existing disks.
Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Yes - I missed the smaller size in the original post.

You could switch to flexraid, and add the 2 TB disk as jbod. Then you'd get a second volume with 2 TB capacity, but no RAID redundancy.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements