× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN 2120 Active Directory "Import Error"

witto17
Tutor

Finally support "kinda" got it working.

Not entirely sure what was done but I'm able to use AD..

Caveat:

- Can't see any of the users & groups through the device's ui 

- Can't set permissions through the device's ui (which was the case before). All permissions must be set on the network share.

This gets me going for now BUT don't like it.

Message 51 of 72
jjagdeo
Aspirant

After applying SSH changes, I was able to sync with AD.  However, when trying to connect to share, I am prompted for the password even after it is entered which I know is accurate.

Message 52 of 72
jjagdeo
Aspirant

@jjagdeo wrote:

After applying SSH changes, I was able to sync with AD.  However, when trying to connect to share, I am prompted for the password even after it is entered which I know is accurate.

Got it working after disconnecting net share from Windows and then reconnecting.

Message 53 of 72
SCP
Guide
Guide

@mdgm wrote:

Fixing permissions using SSH is not something we would support end users doing and if you encounter problems with that support may be unable to help. You can obviously compare with another NAS (if you have one configured and in a working condition) and if it works for you then good for you.

If you contact support and if required purchase support (if your unit is out of entitlement) then support can probably fix this in a way that the ownership is what it was before the problem (obviously this is not possible if you try doing your SSH changes you mentioned above).

Hello

Is it that the support of netgear?
A bug made by a firmware that is marked to "stable" on an original series that support 6.X and we should purchase support to correct this????

I am a little bit disapointing...

The question is more: Do you plan to release a firmware to correct this????

Message 54 of 72
AlexWhittles
Guide

I totally agree, expecting customers to pay to fix something that a Netgear firmware bug has caused is completely unacceptable and I am appalled by your approach. Especially if you're saying that a manual fix renders the devices unsupportable.

Netgear, you need to do one of three things:

- Issue a firmware update to resolve the issue

- Provide a supported manual fix

- Provide free support to fix the units that you have broken

And you need to do one of these pretty darn quick please, as it is becoming a major problem.

YOU have bricked these devices, YOU have a responsibility to fix them.

Message 55 of 72
AndrewRoberts
Aspirant

Just started receiving this error on one of our RN312 devices running 6.5.0, with exact same error as originally posted.  At first we had WAN issues preventing the device syncing with our AD, but subsiquently failed to reconnect with AD.  Unfortunately we have already tried removing and re-adding the device from AD before seeing this thread.

And continue to get Import Failed error message.  We are part way through upgrading our 14 readyNAS devices to the latest firmware, and have now had to hold off - praying our others that have been updated don't start getting the error.

I've logged a support ticket, and will not go down the route of resolving ourselves via SSH.  Please resolve this asap!

Andrew

Message 56 of 72
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I am travelling. As a result unusually I am rarely looking at the community at the moment.

Setting permissions using Windows has always been the recommended way as far as I can recall.

We've been investigating some AD import issues and we have a few fixes coming in the next firmware release 6.5.1. We are working on preparing a beta firmware to share with the community soon.

If you send in your logs we should be able to determine from those whether you've run into an issue that is likely to be fixed by the beta release. Our fixes obviously do not allow for any changes you may have made using SSH.

Message 57 of 72
Scirocco16V
Guide

I'm also having the same problem with my ReadyNAS 316 after upgrading to 6.5.0. I posted more details and the end of my ads.log in the Active Directory issues after 6.5 upgrade discussion.

Model: RN31661D|ReadyNAS 316 6-Bay
Message 58 of 72
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

Message 59 of 72
CRPearce
Aspirant

I'll be installing this on my other ReadyNAS 2120, which is currently suffering from permissions issues (i.e., not import issues).

Message 60 of 72
AlexWhittles
Guide

Hi Kohdee

I'll install the update on my 316 today, and will report back.

Thanks

Message 61 of 72
AlexWhittles
Guide

Better, but still not working.

I upgraded my 316 from 6.5.0 to 6.5.1

Straight away the AD account refresh worked, and I could see the list of users and groups.

I was then able to set up network access permissions under the settings for each share. (File Access is set to Everyone read/write)

However no users were able to access any shares. It kept asking for domain credentials, and not accepting them.

So I removed the device from AD, then added it back on again.

Exactly the same problem.

So from the NAS Admin interface it all looks fine now. But I'm unable to actually access any shares over the LAN (from multiple machines on the AD).

I've also tried granting everyone permissions (and even anonymous), but exactly the same.

It's like the NAS can't validate the users credentials against AD, even though it has a list of the users locally.

Any ideas on what else I can try?

Message 62 of 72
CRPearce
Aspirant

Out of curiosity, check the folder permissions in Windows.  Do you see "Unix User" and "Unix Group" followed by a set of numbers instead of domain accounts and groups?  That was the issue that I was having prior to testing the 6.5.1 firmware.

After installing it, I unjoined and rejoined the RN to the domain and everything imported fine (which it was able to do prior to updating).  The only difference was that instead of the set of numbers after "Unix User/Group", it now reads domain user account names and groups.  I did, however, have one employee complain about her Home folder now being read only.  I've since applied changes via Windows, and I am now waiting to hear from others.  My fingers are crossed hoping that it is only the one user.

- Chris

Message 63 of 72
AlexWhittles
Guide

Hi Chris

If only I could... I can't even see the root / list of shares without providing the authorisation.

So we can't even see the shares/folders in order to set up Windows permissions.
Message 64 of 72
CRPearce
Aspirant

I have avoided using domain credentials for managing permissions via Windows.  Instead, I connect with the local RN admin account (i.e., <RN Name>\admin + password).  See if that at least allows you to view the shares and associated permissions.  If it does, you should be able to make changes at that point.

- Chris

Message 65 of 72
SCP
Guide
Guide

Hello:

Did you try to reboot the Nas, and or test from an other computer?

Some time the password is store on windows, and it will not leave it until you reboot the computer...

In fact, i have test to reset the nas:

From start even the local account could not work on network storage... (with the admin account).
After a lot of test, i have change an other time the admin password on the nas, and then it work...
It seems that if you set the admin password during the "sync" RAID opperation (when you reset the nas and that it create the RAID Grappe) it does not work...

But well, i know able to use Active Directory import...

So on the 6.5 it seems that there is two problem:

1) AD that is the subject of this topic

2) local account, if we configure the password during the "sync" process...

Message 66 of 72
AlexWhittles
Guide

Yes I always connect to the NAS using the local Admin account, not AD credentials.

Using this I'm able to view/set permissions on shares, but I'm still unable to access them from the LAN.

I've tried rebooting, rebooting again, deleting shares/permissions and re-adding, I've tried talking nicely to the NAS and even asking it in Swahili. Quite frankly I'm running out of ideas, apart from just using it as a decorative door stop, or maybe an overly expensive paperweight?

Any other ideas welcome though!

Message 67 of 72
SCP
Guide
Guide

Hello,

As i said, i have got the same problem on the bigining.

I reset the nas, so start from the biggining.
I configure the "admin" password.

And after the sync RAID task, i try to access on it by share.
If i let only "admin" right to share ==> i could not access on it by computer (even with doing //NAS/Admin on login)

If i let "everyone" ==> it work's but that was not what i want.

After that i have made a lot of test, and then try to change the password again.
Then reboot the nas and the computer.

==> now it work's for the admin.
I think that the change password again that solve it, but i do not know why... The password was good has i could connect to the web access...

So there is problem sometimes even for the local access.. Even after a clean reset...

Try to set your admin password again to see if it solve the problem?

Message 68 of 72
Mike10
Aspirant

If this update is not working properly why is it still offered? I updated my firmware and now have this issue. I only did this a few weeks ago. Now that I have the issue I am looking to this forum and find it has been an issue for some time now. Pull the update so others don't get hit by it. You have cost me a lot of time trying to troubleshoot this issue. I had all of the users detected yesterday and today none.

I see that 6.5.1 is available? Why doesn't my readynas see it when I ask it to upgrade?

Message 69 of 72
StephenB
Guru

@Mike10 wrote:

I see that 6.5.1 is available? Why doesn't my readynas see it when I ask it to upgrade?

Mine actually did.  It does take a while for it to propagate though.

You can download it manually, and extract the file from the downloaded zip.  Then install it manually from the services page on the web admin interface.

Message 70 of 72
SCP
Guide
Guide

I have got it too, but from now i am a little bit frozen to test the upgrade...
Who know what shall happen after that...

Message 71 of 72
alaae
Aspirant

Hi,

I just updated to 6.5.1 and my shares are not starting.

from SSH ihave the following errors:

readynasd.service - ReadyNAS System Daemon
          Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/readynasd.service; enabled)
          Active: active (running) since Wed, 29 Jun 2016 16:40:43 +0300; 2h 46min ago
        Main PID: 2853 (readynasd)
          CGroup: name=systemd:/system/readynasd.service
                  â  316 sh -c wbinfo --gid-info=32773
                  â  317 wbinfo --gid-info=32773
                  â 2853 /usr/sbin/readynasd -v 3 -t

Jun 29 19:26:57 NAS1 readynasd[2853]: Fail 'wbinfo --uid-info 32768'
Jun 29 19:26:58 NAS1 readynasd[2853]: failed to call wbcGetpwuid: WBC_ERR_DOMAIN_NOT_FOUND
Jun 29 19:26:58 NAS1 readynasd[2853]: Could not get info for uid 32768
Jun 29 19:26:58 NAS1 readynasd[2853]: Fail 'wbinfo --uid-info 32768'
Jun 29 19:26:58 NAS1 readynasd[2853]: failed to call wbcGetpwuid: WBC_ERR_DOMAIN_NOT_FOUND
Jun 29 19:26:58 NAS1 readynasd[2853]: Could not get info for uid 32768
Jun 29 19:26:58 NAS1 readynasd[2853]: Fail 'wbinfo --uid-info 32768'
Jun 29 19:26:59 NAS1 readynasd[2853]: failed to call wbcGetpwuid: WBC_ERR_DOMAIN_NOT_FOUND
Jun 29 19:26:59 NAS1 readynasd[2853]: Could not get info for uid 32768
Jun 29 19:26:59 NAS1 readynasd[2853]: Fail 'wbinfo --uid-info 32768'

Admin page is  not accessible also.

Could you please help me on this

Thanks

Alaa

Message 72 of 72
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements