× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN 2120 v2 is stuck in TFTP_REQ mode and will not repond to anything other than TELNET on port 2

raelriggs
Aspirant

RN 2120 v2 is stuck in TFTP_REQ mode and will not repond to anything other than TELNET on port 23

Hi, 

a little while ago i was trying to get a RN2120v2 to update, see thread Here

I have now removed the NAS from full time service so can now spend the nessasary time to get it back up and running, 

ReadyNas2120v2.PNG as you can see from the screen grab, the NAS is in a sorry state, 

i have been through every possible boot option, i have tried booting from a number of memory keys, to try and factory reset the device, i am almost ready to give up........ almost.

can any one suggest a way for me to fix the nas, the only port that is open is the TELNET port 23.

i have logged in to that port using putty and telnet, i was able to get logged in to the root account and was left at the prompt.

ReadyNas2120v2 1.PNGi started to use the commands detailed Here but it failed at the first command 

what else can i try from TELNET to get this box working 

can anyone help or is this NAS just a paperweight now?

Regards

Rael

Model: RN2120|ReadyNAS 2120 1U 4-Bay Diskless
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN 2120 v2 is stuck in TFTP_REQ mode and will not repond to anything other than TELNET on port 2

That's a guide for an OS 4.1 system, not OS-6.  With OS-6 you can start raid and chroot by entering

# rnutil chroot

You can then mount the data volume (assuming healthy disks) using

# btrfs device scan
# btrfs fi show
# mount /dev/md127 /data

Message 2 of 5
raelriggs
Aspirant

Thanks. For the reply.
Will I need the original set of 4 drives for this to work, because I put them in to the new nas that replaces this device,
Can I get this working with a single 250gb drive as proof of working before I shell out for another set of hard drives for this nas.
I don’t mind putting new drives in it if I can get it to work as intended?
Raelrigs
Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

The OS is installed onto the disks (and the NAS then boots from the disks).  If the NAS is diskless, there is nothing to repair.

@raelriggs wrote:

Can I get this working with a single 250gb drive as proof of working before I shell out for another set of hard drives for this nas.

Yes, but the test is just to see that the NAS does it's normal factory install, and that you can access it normally.

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@StephenB wrote:

If the NAS is diskless, there is nothing to repair.

To clarify, if the flash itself is corrupted then a USB recovery procedure might repair that.  If that fails, then you could check the warranty status and if you are covered you could request an RMA.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements