× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN 314 Issues after updating to OS 6.10.2

kbachler6
Aspirant

RN 314 Issues after updating to OS 6.10.2

After updating to 6.10.2, I can no longer see any network shares other than the Home folder.  Prior to updating, I had a share named Home; that is now part of the Home folder, and appears there when accessing over the Network via Win 10 explorer, even though I renamed the folder to Home-1.

When I log in via a browser by going to the internal IP, i can see all the shares, but from the network cannot - which makes it more difficult to get things there.

Any ideas of what may have gone wrong and how to fix it?  (SMB and NFS are running.)

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

On Home-1 it might be best to create a new share, copy the contents of Home-1 into it, delete Home-1, and then rename the new share (to something other than Home).

On the main issue, try running the Windows Command prompt and enter

net use * /delete

net use t: \\nas-ip-address\data /user:admin nas-admin-password

using the real NAS ip address and admin password of course.  Be careful on the typing - particularly spaces and the slash direction.

The first command closes any network sessions open on the PC.  The second maps the full data volume to drive letter T.  You should see all the shares, Data, and Home on that drive letter if it works.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 14

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@kbachler6 wrote:

Prior to updating, I had a share named Home; that is now part of the Home folder,

I'm surprised the system let you do that, as it is a duplicate share name.  FWIW, it's a bad idea to give a share the same name as the data volume (normally called Data) or Home.

@kbachler6 wrote:

I had a share named Home; that is now part of the Home folder, and appears there when accessing over the Network via Win 10 explorer, even though I renamed the folder to Home-1.

You are accessing with the NAS admin credentials? (normally seeing the data volume, home, and admin when you access with file explorer)?  Or are you saying that Home is now part of your private share (which isn't named Home).

How did you rename the folder? (Windows explorer, or the web ui)?  You shouldn't rename them from Explorer.

Message 2 of 14
kbachler6
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

@kbachler6 wrote:

Prior to updating, I had a share named Home; that is now part of the Home folder,

I'm surprised the system let you do that, as it is a duplicate share name.  FWIW, it's a bad idea to give a share the same name as the data volume (normally called Data) or Home.

@kbachler6 wrote:

I had a share named Home; that is now part of the Home folder, and appears there when accessing over the Network via Win 10 explorer, even though I renamed the folder to Home-1.

You are accessing with the NAS admin credentials? (normally seeing the data volume, home, and admin when you access with file explorer)?  Or are you saying that Home is now part of your private share (which isn't named Home).

How did you rename the folder? (Windows explorer, or the web ui)?  You shouldn't rename them from Explorer.

I had a share called "Home" prior to the upgrade and didn't realize that in the upgrade "Home" would take on a meaning that it didn't previously have, or I would have renamed it prior to the upgrade.  I renamed the share I created called "Home" to "Home-1" (not the Home default share on the server). Now when I look at the server with Windows with Explorer, the ONLY folder I see on the server is Home, with the contents of the Home-1 folder (which is under a Share called "Documents")

However, I have numerous other shares: "Documents", "Music", etc., all available to Everyone (as well as admins), all available anonymously, none visible from Windows Explorer.  Via the web and browser-interface, the shares are listed as <server>/data/<sharename>. That can't be accessed via Windows, and nor can <server>/<sharename> except for <server>/Home. 

I renamed the folder through the browser interface.

Message 3 of 14
StephenB
Guru

On Home-1 it might be best to create a new share, copy the contents of Home-1 into it, delete Home-1, and then rename the new share (to something other than Home).

net use * /delete

using the real NAS ip address and admin password of course.  Be careful on the typing - particularly spaces and the slash direction.

The first command closes any network sessions open on the PC.  The second maps the full data volume to drive letter T.  You should see all the shares, Data, and Home on that drive letter if it works.

Message 4 of 14
kbachler6
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

net use * /delete

Hi,

Tried the share creation, copy, etc.  No impact.

Tried issuing the "net use" commands.  Both gave: "System error 67 has occured. The network name cannot be found."

Message 5 of 14
kbachler6
Aspirant

By the way, checked with other Win 10 computers - they also see the NAS 314 the same way.

Message 6 of 14
kbachler6
Aspirant

OK, tried the net commands again - must have had something typed wrong before, they worked now and I have t: mapped.

Message 7 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@kbachler6 wrote:

OK, tried the net commands again - must have had something typed wrong before, they worked now and I have t: mapped.

Good.  The shares should all be there.  You can now also enter \\nas-ip-address into the file explorer address bar (keeping the drive letter mapped).  That should show you the list of NAS shares (along with Data and the home folder).

Assuming it does, you should then run the Windows Credential Manager on the PC, and select "windows credentials".  If there are no credentials for the NAS IP address or hostname, you should create them.  If there are some, you should edit them and make sure that ths credentials are correct.  (The username/password needs to match a user account on the NAS).

After that, try entering \\nas-name into the file explorer address bar (using the NAS hostname) and let us know if that works.

Message 8 of 14
kbachler6
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

@kbachler6 wrote:

Good.  The shares should all be there.  You can now also enter \\nas-ip-address into the file explorer address bar (keeping the drive letter mapped).  That should show you the list of NAS shares (along with Data and the home folder).

Assuming it does, you should then run the Windows Credential Manager on the PC, and select "windows credentials".  If there are no credentials for the NAS IP address or hostname, you should create them.  If there are some, you should edit them and make sure that ths credentials are correct.  (The username/password needs to match a user account on the NAS).

After that, try entering \\nas-name into the file explorer address bar (using the NAS hostname) and let us know if that works.

Even after editing the credentials, using the mapped drive works, entering the NAS-Name does not.  All it shows me then is only the Home share with the same folders in it as were there from the beginning (original post.)

Message 9 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@kbachler6 wrote:

Even after editing the credentials, using the mapped drive works, entering the NAS-Name does not.  All it shows me then is only the Home share with the same folders in it as were there from the beginning (original post.)

What happens if you enter this via the command prompt:

net use * /delete
net use t: \\nas-name\data /user:admin nas-admin-password
Message 10 of 14
kbachler6
Aspirant

I recently had a failure of my Surface Pro, and had to replace it.  The new Surface Pro had exactly the same issue.  Using the mapped drive via the command-prompt names allows me to access the files; however, the NAS 314 is still not accessible using the NAS-name.

Message 11 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@kbachler6 wrote:

I recently had a failure of my Surface Pro, and had to replace it.  The new Surface Pro had exactly the same issue.  Using the mapped drive via the command-prompt names allows me to access the files; however, the NAS 314 is still not accessible using the NAS-name.

Can you reach the web admin ui by browsing to https://NAS-name/admin ?

If not, the next steps are to 

1. reserve an IP address for the NAS in your router
  2. enter the NAS-name and associated IP address in your windows hosts file

The hosts file is located in %WINDIR%\system32\drivers\etc\. You'll need to open Notepad as admin, and then navigate to that folder to edit it.  Enter the IP address first, then the NAS-name (separate them with a tab).

After you reboot the PC you should be able to access the NAS by name.  It still might not show up in the file explorer left pane though.

If you can access the web admin ui by name, then try opening the Windows Credentials Manager on the surface and create a Windows credential for the NAS that uses a username on the NAS and it's associated password.

Message 12 of 14
kbachler6
Aspirant

Thank you.  The NAS had been reserved, but I had not added it to the hosts file. Doing so addressed the issue.

Message 13 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@kbachler6 wrote:

Thank you.  The NAS had been reserved, but I had not added it to the hosts file. Doing so addressed the issue.

Great.  That is really a workaround of course, but it is effective.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements