× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN102 - Admin GUI no Access after Update to 6.5.2

DT4BK
Aspirant

RN102 - Admin GUI no Access after Update to 6.5.2

Hi all,

i have a RN102 here.

It came around with Firmware 6.1.x.

So i started to update the Firmware.

Target is to get on 6.9.2. As mentioned in the release notes, i had to update first to 6.2.5 then to 6.5.2 and finally to 6.9.2.

The First update works fine.

But now i have the issue, that Raidrar says 6.5.2 is installed but i can't access Admin page anymore.

As i already tried to do a factory reset and a OS reinstall i'm now clueless what to do.

USB Recovery seems not to work or all 7 different USB-Sticks i tried are not compatible.

Because of Factory Reset i'm not able to connect via SSH anymore. In USB Recovery Mode Telnet is accessable but no login.

Any suggestions?

BR

Daniel

Model: rn10200|readynas 100 series 2-bay (diskless)
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
DT4BK
Aspirant

Re: RN102 - Admin GUI no Access after Update to 6.5.2

I just managed to get my NAS work again.

What i did:

unplugged both drives

deleted them with disk management

USB Recovery with newest firmware

boot NAS with one drive plugged

configure NAS and plug in second drive again

Wait to synchronize

Of course all data where lost on the drives but lucky me i had a backup on USB Drive 🙂

Regards

D.

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 12

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @DT4BK

Welcome to the Community!

Have you checked the Status on RAIDar? Can you still access the default shares on file explorer?

You may want to try clearing cache on your web browser and/or try a different browser to access the admin page.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 2 of 12
DT4BK
Aspirant

Hi @Marc_V,

Thanks for your reply.

RAIDar says everything is fine. It shows 6.5.2 as Firmware installed.

Both drives are okay.

I tried IE, Firefox, Firefox portable and Chrome.

No Access...

As i already did a factory reset, no Share access is granted. But pinging the NAS works fine.

BR

Daniel

Message 3 of 12
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @DT4BK

Doing a Factory Reset should have helped resolve this issue, can you download the logs using RAIDar and send me a link to download.

If I may ask did you perform Factory reset from the Boot menu?

Regards

Message 4 of 12
DT4BK
Aspirant

@Marc_V

Yes, i did the factory reset from the boot menu.

Unfortunatly i don't have the option to download the log files via RAIDar...

See attached screenshoot

Message 5 of 12
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @DT4BK

Is this a brand new NAS? If another Factory reset would not help, I would like to encourage you to contact Support so they can escalate the case if needed.

Also, try to access it on another computer, Can you also post a screenshot of the error you are getting when accessing the NAS

Regards

Message 6 of 12
DT4BK
Aspirant

@Marc_V

Well this NAS is nearly 4 years old. It ran all the time and i just wanted to update the  firmware now.

Attached you find a Screenshoot of the error. Connecting with another computer gets the same error

BR

Daniel

Message 7 of 12
StephenB
Guru

The boot menu on the RN102 can be hard to navigate.

If you can connect the disks to a Windows PC, you can unformat them (delete all volumes from the Windows disk manager) or zero them (using WDC's lifeguard program or Seatools).  This will work even if the disks are connected with USB.  Then if you put them back in the NAS and power up, the NAS will do a fresh factory install.

Message 8 of 12
DT4BK
Aspirant

@StephenB

Thanks for the reply.

tried your suggestion.

I unformatted both drives.

RAIDar recognizes that and asks for formatting. Insert DESTROY and the process startet. A while RAIDar says Installation but then Status got to "damaged directory" (not sure if this is the exact translation)

You have an idea?

Message 9 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@DT4BK wrote:

I unformatted both drives.

RAIDar recognizes that and asks for formatting. Insert DESTROY and the process startet.

It sounds like you reformatted both drives to NTFS instead of unformatting them.  If the disks have no partitions (what the windows disk manager calls "volumes"), then RAIDar would not have asked about formatting.  Powering up the NAS with both drives in place would done a factory install, and both disks would have been silently formatted.  

So perhaps you could try that process again - in case the OS partition on the drives wasn't destroyed.

@DT4BK wrote:

A while RAIDar says Installation but then Status got to "damaged directory" (not sure if this is the exact translation)

It might say "corrupt root" on the English version - but I'm not certain on whether that's the case.

Is it possible that there are issues with the drives?  You might want to look at the SMART stats on a Windows PC (again, lifeguard or seatools will show you these stats).  Also, doing the "write zeros" tests in those drives will certainly remove the partitions, and also will pick up disk problems that the non-destructive tests miss.

You could also try the reset again, but this time only use one disk.  If that fails, try a second time with the other one.

Message 10 of 12
DT4BK
Aspirant

@StephenB

Well i just unformated the disk. It was shown up 3 Partitions which i deleted.

Never the less it says, that directory is broken. I looked up for it. This mentions "/" folder. So all hints that update failed.

What i now did is to try the 8th USB-Stick. What i now see is that Power LED and Backup LED are blinking all the time. is that normal in that stage?

on the other 7 sticks after 15seconds of pressing backup Button the Power and Backup LED where just on and RAIDar that TELNET Mode. Now RAIDar nether find the NAS.

is this behaviour correct?

BR

Message 11 of 12
DT4BK
Aspirant

I just managed to get my NAS work again.

What i did:

unplugged both drives

deleted them with disk management

USB Recovery with newest firmware

boot NAS with one drive plugged

configure NAS and plug in second drive again

Wait to synchronize

Of course all data where lost on the drives but lucky me i had a backup on USB Drive 🙂

Regards

D.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements