× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN102 After duplicated HDD to larger capacity, total capacity not correctly reported

530_R4i8R
Tutor

RN102 After duplicated HDD to larger capacity, total capacity not correctly reported

My intended goal was to upgrade the drives to 1TB and mirror the data on the first drive to the second. So I was feeling pretty lazy and I went about attempting to upgrade my RN102 v6.4.1 disks the sloppy way and ended up making more work for myself. Now I'd like to fix the incorrectly reported total volume capacity, any suggestions would be appreciated, I looked through the forum for similar situations and could not find an exact match.

(I had spare HDDs lying around when I setup my NAS so that why the HDD sizes were odd/mis-matched) Slot I-230GB & Slot II-2TB and I wanted to upgrade to WD Red 1TB drives.

I believe they were setup in Flex-Raid? or Raid1, I don't remember how I set it up (See screenshot) *UPDATE* confirmed it was setup RAID1X-Raid.jpg

I gracefully shutdown the NAS and put the 320GB HDD in my CableMatters HDD Duplicator and duplicated the HDD to a WD Red 1TD drive and placed a freshly formatted WD Red 1TB in slot II. I knew it wasn't the correct way but I figured it would be quicker and I could just connect the HDDs to my PC and open up Disk Management and extend the partion to use up all the unallocated space and then put them back in the NAS... yeah I tried that, it didn't work.

Disk Management WD Red 1TB not extended.jpg

FML, I am not familiar with storage and have created a little mess, I would love to learn from this experience. Thanks for any advice.

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
530_R4i8R
Tutor

Re: RN102 After duplicated HDD to larger capacity, total capacity not correctly reported

*UPDATE*

mdgm thanks for the advice, I'll remember it should/when I ever have to upgrade to larger HDD's in the future.

Turns out I monkeyed my way into making my sloppy HDD upgrade work. I previously rebooted the NAS several times when I first realized the total drive capacity was not correct hoping it would resync and correctly report the volume capacity, it didn't work which is why I originally started this thread.

After I posted this thread I shut down the NAS and removed the drives to label them, when I reseated the drives and rebooted the drive health initally showed up as degraded as it went through a resync process and finally showed up as healthy and redundant, it is still in the resync process at 45% complete but it appears as though it has corrected the disk capacity issue on it own

Changed from degraded to redundant after reseat and reboot.jpg

Resync in progress after reseat.jpg

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If the 320GB HDD was in RAID with the 2TB hdd then you would have needed 2x2TB disks to expand the volume, I think.

Also extending the partition sizes using disk management is not the way to do things. The NAS would create a new partition where needed and expand if you were using X-RAID. Expansion will only take place when redundant space can be added.

I think at this point, the best thing would be to backup your data, do a factory default (wipes all data, settings, everything) with the 2x1TB disks in place and restore your data from backup.

Message 2 of 6
530_R4i8R
Tutor

Thanks, I'll end up Factory Defaulting then; to perform a backup is the following link the best guide to follow should I choose to backup to a USB HDD?

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29654

Message 3 of 6
530_R4i8R
Tutor

*UPDATE*

mdgm thanks for the advice, I'll remember it should/when I ever have to upgrade to larger HDD's in the future.

Turns out I monkeyed my way into making my sloppy HDD upgrade work. I previously rebooted the NAS several times when I first realized the total drive capacity was not correct hoping it would resync and correctly report the volume capacity, it didn't work which is why I originally started this thread.

After I posted this thread I shut down the NAS and removed the drives to label them, when I reseated the drives and rebooted the drive health initally showed up as degraded as it went through a resync process and finally showed up as healthy and redundant, it is still in the resync process at 45% complete but it appears as though it has corrected the disk capacity issue on it own

Changed from degraded to redundant after reseat and reboot.jpg

Resync in progress after reseat.jpg

Message 4 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Glad it turned out to be that simple.

Btw, if expansion doesn't take place, a reboot is something that can be tried to fix it. In some cases it could even take a few reboots. Though the reboot suggestion would mainly be relevant for older units I think, it's still worth a try on OS6.

Message 5 of 6
530_R4i8R
Tutor

I don't think it had anything to do with rebooting as I've rebooted over 10 times since the issue first occurred.

I believe it was forced to resync the drive capacity due to rebooting the NAS with a drive not firmly seated and having to shutdown and re-seat the drive and reboot, that seemed to be the only thing that triggered a resync of the drive capacity.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements