× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN102 - Cannot Access Boot Menu

emopausal
Aspirant

RN102 - Cannot Access Boot Menu

Hey all, 

I've previously posted about my RN102 and the problems I am having with recovery.

The tl;dr: is that the RN102 was statically configured for a 192.168.1 network - I am now on a 192.168.2 network.  

I tried hooking up the RN102 to a different router on the old subnet but could not get the RN102's NIC to activate using that router.  When I plug the RN102 into my current router, I get 10mbps lights on the RN102, and on the switch and hub port indicators, so I'm willing to bet that the NIC is working albeit at a reduced speed.

I'm trying now to boot into the menu s.t. I can do a soft reset to reinstall the OS and reset the IP.

But I cannot get the boot manu to proc.  I'm cleanly shutting the RN102 down, holding down reset while I press the power button - the unit takes about 3-minutes to boot after which the power light stops flashing and the activity, d1 and d2 leds are lit, but the backup/usb light never procs.  I've tried holding down the power button and the reset button but same results.  When I hit the power button to shut-down the RN102, the backup/usb led lights so I know that's working.

Next thing, I guess I'll try to get to the boot menu without a nic connection to see if it will give me the menu.  

Was hoping someone here would have a clue or some suggestions.

My next step is to yank-out the drives and attempt to mount them on a Linux box - does anyone have a link/tut for how to do this?

Thanks for all the help... much appreciated!

--mike

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
emopausal
Aspirant

Re: RN102 - Cannot Access Boot Menu

I finally got the boot menu to proc by d/c'ing the RN102 from the network by unplugging the ethernet cable.

Note to others that may experience this issue:  be patient - these are older and much slower units - it takes me 3 full minutes to boot!

When I finally got the boot manu, the first time, the soft-reset wouldn't work - I had 0010 lit on the panel, but pressing reset did nothing.  Pressing any other buttons did nothing.  I pulled the power cable, let it boot naturally, then shut-down cleanly, and retried getting into the boot menu.

Success!  The boot menu proc'd a second time for me and this time, when I hit reset after getting 0010 lit on the panel, it started flashing the power button and I could feel drive activity.  This takes a bit, to rewrite the things, so I walked away and when I had returned, it has rebooted itself (1110 was lit).

I powered down cleanly again, plugged the nic cable back in, rebooted and was finally able to see the unit on my LAN.  I'm now busy moving files over to the new NAS device - I plan on retiring the RN102 - after 9 years of excellent service, I think it's earned the right!

Hope this helps someone else...

-mike

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
emopausal
Aspirant

Re: RN102 - Cannot Access Boot Menu

I finally got the boot menu to proc by d/c'ing the RN102 from the network by unplugging the ethernet cable.

Note to others that may experience this issue:  be patient - these are older and much slower units - it takes me 3 full minutes to boot!

When I finally got the boot manu, the first time, the soft-reset wouldn't work - I had 0010 lit on the panel, but pressing reset did nothing.  Pressing any other buttons did nothing.  I pulled the power cable, let it boot naturally, then shut-down cleanly, and retried getting into the boot menu.

Success!  The boot menu proc'd a second time for me and this time, when I hit reset after getting 0010 lit on the panel, it started flashing the power button and I could feel drive activity.  This takes a bit, to rewrite the things, so I walked away and when I had returned, it has rebooted itself (1110 was lit).

I powered down cleanly again, plugged the nic cable back in, rebooted and was finally able to see the unit on my LAN.  I'm now busy moving files over to the new NAS device - I plan on retiring the RN102 - after 9 years of excellent service, I think it's earned the right!

Hope this helps someone else...

-mike

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements