× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN102 Not Decrypting Volume - "Remove inactive volumes in order to use the disk"

CrzyGK
Aspirant

RN102 Not Decrypting Volume - "Remove inactive volumes in order to use the disk"

I recently upgraded to 6.6.1 and my NAS will no longer load my RAID 0 volume. I recieve the message "Remove inactive volumes in order to use the disk" and no matter how many times I reboot the NAS, nothing changes. I did have the volume encrypted and I do have the original flash drive that I loaded the key onto attached to the NAS and I have tried different drives with a backup copy of the key, but it never seems to work. I have also tried reverting to 6.6.0 with no change.

I was backing up via external USB drive, but when I inspected the backups I found that the folder exclusion had not been working and the entire drive was filled with useless copies of a single desktop veeam backup... 

Any thoughts?

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
CrzyGK
Aspirant

Re: RN102 Not Decrypting Volume - "Remove inactive volumes in order to use the disk"

Alright, I seem to have found the issue. I opened up the Veeam image that was copied several times over and I found another copy of the .key file that I downloaded to my PC that was backed up when I setup the RAID. I loaded that onto my original flash drive, rebooted the NAS, and the volume came back in under 2 minutes...

Thanks for the assistance. I guess I somehow had two copies of a corrupted .key file... 

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 13

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RN102 Not Decrypting Volume - "Remove inactive volumes in order to use the disk"

Can you send in your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Message 2 of 13
CrzyGK
Aspirant

Logs Sent

Message 3 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What happens if you do the following?:

# systemctl start Primary-key
Message 4 of 13
CrzyGK
Aspirant

This results in the following:

Job for Primary-key.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status Primary-key.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.

If I run systemctl status Primary-key.service, the result is:

• ? Primary-key.service - Cryptography Key Search for Primary
    Loaded: loaded (/run/systemd/generator/Primary-key.service; generated; vendor
    preset: enabled)
    Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2017-01-17 19:36:21 C
    ST; 6min ago
    Process: 14742 ExecStart=/usr/bin/rnutil search_for_key Primary /run/systemd/c
    ryptsetup/Primary.key 600 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
    Main PID: 14742 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
  • Jan 17 19:26:21 Jenkins_NAS systemd[1]: Starting Cryptography Key Search for Pri
    mary...
    Jan 17 19:36:21 Jenkins_NAS systemd[1]: Primary-key.service: Main proces
    s exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
    Jan 17 19:36:21 Jenkins_NAS systemd[1]: Failed to start Cryptography Key
    Search for Primary.
    Jan 17 19:36:21 Jenkins_NAS systemd[1]: Primary-key.service: Unit entere
    d failed state.
    Jan 17 19:36:21 Jenkins_NAS systemd[1]: Primary-key.service: Failed with
    result 'exit-code'.
Message 5 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That is odd. I see you have a couple of USB keys connected? Does it make any difference if you try with just one connected?

Message 6 of 13
CrzyGK
Aspirant

I have tried each by themselves with no change. I have also tried them each in the front and back USB ports while rebooting.

Message 7 of 13
CrzyGK
Aspirant

Is the above indicating that the service can't start or that it can't find the key?

Message 8 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you try a different USB key?

Message 9 of 13
CrzyGK
Aspirant

I have now tried 4 different flash drives in both front and back USB ports. I have also tried formatting the drives file systems differently (FAT32, NTFS) with no change. 

Message 10 of 13
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

If you have already verified that you have a file named "Primary.key" on one of your USB flash drives, please enable Secure Diagnostic Mode and PM me the 5-digit number.

Message 11 of 13
CrzyGK
Aspirant

Alright, I seem to have found the issue. I opened up the Veeam image that was copied several times over and I found another copy of the .key file that I downloaded to my PC that was backed up when I setup the RAID. I loaded that onto my original flash drive, rebooted the NAS, and the volume came back in under 2 minutes...

Thanks for the assistance. I guess I somehow had two copies of a corrupted .key file... 

Message 12 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

O.K.

You can now mark as the solution the post containing the answer to your problem (which may be your own).

It is important to backup the key as you have found as a corrupted key won't be able to unlock your data volume.

This is also another reason why backing up your data is important too.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements