× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN102 - Problem booting

gkarthik
Aspirant

RN102 - Problem booting

So this is a 6 year old ReadyNAS which had been running fine. Recently one of the disk failed.

I replaced it with a compatiable 1TB HDD. Now it's stuck in some mode which don't quite understand.

What's not working so far.

• No sign of UI
  • No sign of SSH
  • Power light blinks

What is working

• Has a working telnet port
  • DHCP works

It has one original disk which is still present, i've tried to reset the NAS multiple time. Everytime either it gets stuck in same mode

or goes into some other weird section.

How can i recover from this? Any ideas? clues? HELP Smiley Very Happy

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 6
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RN102 - Problem booting

@gkarthik

Welcome to the Community!

It would be best to check on the Status using RAIDar utility. Have you updated the firmware? If it is stuck on booting,usually a USB recovery is done this should not harm your data but you may need to try several flash drives since there are times.

https://kb.netgear.com/29952/How-do-I-use-the-USB-Recovery-Tool-on-my-ReadyNAS-OS-6-storage-system

HTH

Message 2 of 6
gkarthik
Aspirant

Hey @Marc_V thanks that trick certainly worked.

But now.

I've updated the firmware to 6.10.3, but when i insert the old drive back.

The network NIC stops and everthing pretty much goes offline. any clue what might be causing it to freak out?

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@gkarthik wrote:

but when i insert the old drive back.

The network NIC stops and everthing pretty much goes offline. 

Try testing the drive in a windows PC with vendor tools (seatools or WD's lifeguard).  You can connect the drive with SATA or with a USB adapter/dock.

Message 4 of 6
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@gkarthik

Have you tried booting the NAS without the drives? What is the status on RAIDar? If you try to boot without the drives is it getting an IP or still no activity on the NIC?

Message 5 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

The USB recovery was supposed to be done with the drives still installed.  Now that your OS in flash and on the drives don't match, the NAS needs to update the OS on the drives to match that of the flash, and it appears that's getting stuck.  What version were you updating from?  If it was very old, there are some jumps that need to be done sequentially, not all at once.

RAIDar status may give some clue.  An OS re-install may be a solution, but it's best to check the RAIDar status first and see what it says.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements